First Build for around $800

Ps300300

Sure it isn't the best choice price/perf wise, but hey, it's his first build. We all make mistakes as beginners.

Good work, but a few areas for improvement:

-I think you already know that the GPU is a problem. You could get better performance out of the 4430's HD 4600.

-Either you really need to work on cable management, or the PSU is a cheap-ass, unworthy multicolored octopus without sleeved cables.

-Did I mention the PSU is crap?

-You didn't need to spend so much for a Sniper board, but now that you have it, what do you think of upgrading to a 4670K/4770K or a Haswell refresh 4690K/4790K and getting a better, OC-capable cooler?

I hope my build summary doesn't get the same amount of bashing when I put it up, just because I chose to keep my Dell's unique GT 640.  

That $800 build could be a lot better

I know, I was actually mentioning to @SAV1OUR that he was good at configuring builds and that he should show the OP what system he could've got for the same amount of money. I think you probably meant to quote the OP and quoted me by mistake because your comment didn't make sense to what I was saying to SAV1OUR.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Sure it isn't the best choice price/perf wise, but hey, it's his first build. We all make mistakes as beginners.

Good work, but a few areas for improvement:

-I think you already know that the GPU is a problem. You could get better performance out of the 4430's HD 4600.

-Either you really need to work on cable management, or the PSU is a cheap-ass, unworthy multicolored octopus without sleeved cables.

-Did I mention the PSU is crap?

-You didn't need to spend so much for a Sniper board, but now that you have it, what do you think of upgrading to a 4670K/4770K or a Haswell refresh 4690K/4790K and getting a better, OC-capable cooler?

I hope my build summary doesn't get the same amount of bashing when I put it up, just because I chose to keep my Dell's unique GT 640.  

The PSU is a cheap one, but i do also need to work on the cable management. I dont think I will be upgrading my CPU atm because I only just built this. When it comes to a time when I have a bit more money to spend I will look into a new CPU and also why do i need an OC capable cooler and could you suggest a cheaper one?

<script src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script>

<div class="g-ytsubscribe" data-channel="XeniusTech" data-layout="full" data-count="default"></div>

Well, you don't NEED one, what I'm saying is that if you upgrade to a -K chip, then you probably aim to OC. Not that it matters because you have a non-K chip atm.

So don't get one. Although I do have a U9B because I run my E3 constantly at 100% load for folding and I like to keep temps down as well as the fact that the U9B is quieter than the Intel stock cooler. The board was much more expensive than it needed to be, you didn't need Z87 for a non-K chip unless you want SLI...A H87 board is cheaper and better choice for the price. Even an H81 board will do for your needs.

As long as you don't go upwards of a GTX 770, you shouldn't need more than 550-600W MAX (even that's pushing it, you could really run it on 500W if you wanted). A quality 550W power supply, like a G series or a capstone is much better and will last longer than a POS 700W no-OEM, no cert PSU from a manufacturer like Cooler Master (their lower-end lineup), Raidmax or Apevia to name a few.

I know, I was actually mentioning to @SAV1OUR that he was good at configuring builds and that he should show the OP what system he could've got for the same amount of money. I think you probably meant to quote the OP and quoted me by mistake because your comment didn't make sense to what I was saying to SAV1OUR.

I thought you were saying that to the OP, sorry for the confusion. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

I thought you were saying that to the OP, sorry for the confusion.

No worries mate. Sometimes it's easy to misunderstand someone or misread something. I've done it myself. Tis all good mate! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator