I am trying to upgrade PC for gaming

Budget (including currency): I don't have a specific amount but I am aiming for mid range performance/price. I don't want to give 3000 USD 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming. Rocket League, Dark Souls, Apex Legends, Dota 2, anything really. 

Other details

I have an older PC that I plan to reuse some parts from -  the 700W power supply (gold) and video card - R9 280. Also I have some old ssd that should do the trick at first. 

These are the parts I've selected so far - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nTQmwz 
Any advice would be appreciated. My biggest doubt is the CPU. 
As a next step I plan to get an nvidia rtx 3080, whenever becomes available. 

Changed the board for something more compatible with Ryzen 5000. Same for RAM. These Crucial modules are super stable with the 5600X.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($288.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($110.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $558.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-17 06:18 EDT-0400

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pFRrNP

So a good build you got in mind, but I would first of all swap the case. The NZXT case isn't a great performer at all. There are better and cheaper cases with more airflow. If you want a more premium one, then get a 4000D or a nice fractal one.

Go with a B550 instead of the B450, also the Ram should be 3600MHz. Thats the sweet spot for Ryzen.

I just added a good drive for you, as a suggestion.

The CPU is great! I added a cooler, that is adviseable but not really necessary. It's just to let your CPU run 20°C cooler then the stock cooler and improve longevity. And for the 5600X you wont need a 100€ cooler, but a solid one will do great!

Thanks, so should I be aiming for B550 chipset. 
Also do you think it's worth it to get a Ryzen 7 3700 for the same money as a Ryzen 5 5600x instead 

The R9 280 is a good card still for some esports titles but something like the 1080 or 1660 super would be better if you are wanting to get above 100 fps without having to run everything on low. I have a 1650 in my build with it being overclocked to 1800mhz, and even in apex I get jitters and such at times especially when my GPU gets a little hot which is expected. So if you're wanting more fps for now till the 3000 series prices comes down one of those or an equivalent would do good till then.

I am dumb and I want a white case 😐 I will check fractal design cases then. Thank you. Will do 3600MGHz for the RAM. Also does the flow matter if I plan on water cooling at some later point. 

2 minutes ago, Furious Devil said:

I am dumb and I want a white case 😐 I will check fractal design cases then. Thank you. Will do 3600MGHz for the RAM. Also does the flow matter if I plan on water cooling at some later point. 

Airflow cases are better for watercooling also, so get a white p360a or a 4000d airflow, both are available in white and great cases.