Modding Switch Fans

new11

Hey guys, 

I hope everyone is keeping well and my apologies if I've placed this into the incorrect thread. 

Quick question, I've an older HP 2810-23G J9021A switch in my home network cabinet. However, the fans are quite noisy so installed a couple of resisters on the switches fan headers. 

My question and idea is, would I be able to install an internal toggle switch to the switches internal fan circuit, that would allow me to switch between "full speed" and "half speed"? I was simply going to cut the fans cable, connecting the 12v lead to pin 1 on the toggle switch, with outputs; pin 2 12v to 12v (full speed) & pin 3 12v to a resistor cable (half speed). While leaving both the GND & yellow signal cable the same. 

I just don't know how the switch would react with the added switch or if their might be any negative effects?

Many thanks in advance! 
image.thumb.png.72a395ab6ae9e6d9e456e2b503107104.png

35 minutes ago, new11 said:

Hey guys, 

I hope everyone is keeping well and my apologies if I've placed this into the incorrect thread. 

Quick question, I've an older HP 2810-23G J9021A switch in my home network cabinet. However, the fans are quite noisy so installed a couple of resisters on the switches fan headers. 

My question and idea is, would I be able to install an internal toggle switch to the switches internal fan circuit, that would allow me to switch between "full speed" and "half speed"? I was simply going to cut the fans cable, connecting the 12v lead to pin 1 on the toggle switch, with outputs; pin 2 12v to 12v (full speed) & pin 3 12v to a resistor cable (half speed). While leaving both the GND & yellow signal cable the same. 

I just don't know how the switch would react with the added switch or if their might be any negative effects?

Many thanks in advance! 
image.thumb.png.72a395ab6ae9e6d9e456e2b503107104.png

Sounds like an “is there room” issue with the internal requirement.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.