Disable AMD FPS limit on laptop battery

Islam Ghunym
Go to solution Solved by Islam Ghunym,

Thank you all for trying to help. I made it clear in my last post that the FPS limit can in no way be usefull for battery

However I found a solution around that by using windowed mode + an application that switch the Windowed mode to borderless Windowed without any negative impact on the performance

The FPS limit gets activated only in exclusive full screen mode so by making it borderless Windowed I got rid of the issue.

By the way looks like you guys really need that nuclear model number. It is Inspiron 15 3567 馃檪

I tried hard to disable the 30 FPS limit which gets activated once the charger unplugged in every game and that is very annoying. The limit does not only limit the FPS, but also adds huge like really huge additional input lag to all games. I sometimes prefer to run games at very low resolution ex: 1056 x 594 to increase FPS over 60 all the time.

Despite that the GPU runs at half speed on battery giving almost half the FPS count. However I am ok with that, but I am not ok with the fkn 30 FPS limit. For Nvidia users it is a matter of a setting toggle in Geforce experience called battery boost, but AMD is giving me no options to control the limit. I tried to run the laptop at maximum performance, edited Windows power plan of radeon graphic to run at maximum performance when on battery, tried also to switch intel graphics settings to maximum performance as it could have any relation, but it surely doesn't.

Once the charger plugged in again the GPU switch on the fly automatically to maximum clock speeds and FPS limit is removed... Once unplugged again performance drop to half the FPS count and FPS limit gets activated after a couple of seconds later.

The only thing I could do to remove the limit was to alter it using vsync which is not also nice, but still better changing the limit to 60 FPS, but even that sync thing is not always easy to set in games especially when the game have mo sync option so I have to find a way to enable it which most of the time ends up not enabled after wasting time...

I want to completely to disable that damn limit. Any idea?

It might help if you actually told us what laptop this is.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.聽 If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It might help if you actually told us what laptop this is.

Even tho it is very unlikely to help if I tell, but here you go:

Some old crap i7 U series 7th gen with R5 m330. It is a dell model

1 minute ago, Islam Ghunym said:

Some old crap i7 U series 7th gen with R5 m330. It is a dell model

Have you heard the term "help us help you"? Surely you can find your model number.

Anyway, lots of posts on the internet about your issue, no one has removed that limit. Likely due to the battery not being able to power that hardware for any safe amount of time.

Even if you did get this to work, you'd probably have laughable battery life.

5 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Have you heard the term "help us help you"? Surely you can find your model number.

Anyway, lots of posts on the internet about your issue, no one has removed that limit. Likely due to the battery not being able to power that hardware for any safe amount of time.

Thx for trying to help, appreciated.

20 minutes ago, rickeo said:

The maximum power on the R5 m330 is 18W. Manufacturers won't go beyond that for sure, but they may set a power limit at a certain value with lower clock speeds.

To make the laptop runs for a longer time and protect the battery from fast draining a power limit should be set n the GPU and the CPU may have to change it's behaviour of boosting too for longer lasting session.

The FPS limit have nothing to do with that..... Maybe if AMD was very crap in the past to a degree that the power limit may not be guaranteed to be set properly so that the FPS limit comes into play to make sure low power is used..... But then what happens if the game was already running at 30 FPS at full clock speeds then the limit is not going to do anything to protect the battery if the power limit was not successfully set..... So I doubt that there is any reason to have a laughable FPS limit there.

I guess it is just AMD crap. It have always been crap

2 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

I guess it is just AMD crap. It have always been crap

Man Nvidia laptops have this same feature. Or so I leaned on Google looking into your problem.

This ican be a hard set limit usually in hardware for the simple reason that most batteries can only do x Watts of output and this is to prevent terrible battery life + overstressing the battery.

You may ask how would it know what 30fps is? Well simply put the gpu is told to only output at a 30hz refresh rate and lock to it so that is the end of it.

Using a beta driver or no driver can sometimes circumvent it but well with no driver good luck gaming and beta drivers tend to not be usable.

Also without you giving the model number I can give you no more assistance as i7 r5 350 whatever dell is useless.

17 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

The maximum power on the R5 m330 is 18W. Manufacturers won't go beyond that for sure, but they may set a power limit at a certain value with lower clock speeds.

To make the laptop runs for a longer time and protect the battery from fast draining a power limit should be set n the GPU and the CPU may have to change it's behaviour of boosting too for longer lasting session.

Look into the specific model laptop you have being used with the battery removed and AC powered only if possible聽

Look into using windows power options to reduce the maximum and minimum cpu usage to allow more room for the gpu maybe?

Thank you all for trying to help. I made it clear in my last post that the FPS limit can in no way be usefull for battery

However I found a solution around that by using windowed mode + an application that switch the Windowed mode to borderless Windowed without any negative impact on the performance

The FPS limit gets activated only in exclusive full screen mode so by making it borderless Windowed I got rid of the issue.

By the way looks like you guys really need that nuclear model number. It is Inspiron 15 3567 馃檪

On 8/15/2021 at 10:40 PM, rickeo said:

Man Nvidia laptops have this same feature. Or so I leaned on Google looking into your problem.

It is a useless feature that you can disable on Nvidia, but not on AMD. The details was already in the OP before you search about it.

21 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

It is a useless feature that you can disable on Nvidia, but not on AMD. The details was already in the OP before you search about it.

Its quite clear when you look into the problem that isn't nearly that simple and that setting does not work in most cases.