ISP router is trash, please help

NareN

My ISP game me a router which has terrible wifi which disconnects frequently. I thought of buying a new one but it requires a PON port , because that is what the ISP router uses.

Wired connection is great by the way

Please help.

1 minute ago, NareN said:

My ISP game me a router which has terrible wifi which disconnects frequently. I thought of buying a new one but it requires a PON port , because that is what the ISP router uses.

Please help.

I think the better thing to do is buy actual accesspoints such as the Ubiquiti NanoHD or AC AP Pro it requires a bit of setting up but its worth it if you'd ask me

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Just continue to use the ISP router as just a modem, and plug a router into one if the Ethernet ports. Then you can use the WiFi off the new router instead. You don't necessarily need to replace the device wholly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 hours ago, NareN said:

Please help.

Sounds like you have Fiber. Unless your ISP will install a stand alone ONT, your screwed as you will be required to use that box. You might see if there is a bridge mode or IP pass thru mode that you can use to make it an ONT only. But that will vary based on device and what the ISP allows. 

If the WIFi is shit, you can just buy a Wireless AP and turn the WiFi off in the ISP box, this is probably the easiest method. For the record Routers/Gateways that have Fiber support are non existent in the retail market. Meaning you cant purchase them. Depending how technical you are, I have heard of people using PFsense boxes with Fiber cards in them, but this requires a level of cooperation most ISP's will never provide. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.