Sudden dip in performance with 3090

LordFigTree

I've been playing a lot of Mad Max recently with my newish 3090 on my Oled at 4k 120Hz, maximum settings with no issues (i know not the newest game), but i didn't play for 1 day and then went back to it to find fps had dropped from 119-120fps, to about 60-70fps, even on my PC monitor at 1440p i only get 90-100 (144Hz display).

The only things that changed in that day was GPU game ready driver update, and a windows update, first thing i tried was uninstall the Windows update, then i tried using DDU to remove the GPU driver and install the previous one, no fix.

I've tried so many different things and combinations of stuff now with no fix e.g. update bios, change bios PCIe settings, try different versions of the game ready drivers, complete removal of all nvidia software and reinstall, removing more windows updates, reseating gpu, changing cables, temps are all good, moved game from sata ssd to HDD & m.2 ssd.

I'm out of ideas and have tried to play many other games but with noticeable performance drops in all of them for seemingly no reason, when i play Mad Max i notice the game feels like it's slowing down then speeding up again, it's subtle but i notice it, same with The Ascent, it's dropped about 20-30fps and does the same sluggish motion then speeds up.

Ryzen 9 5900x

Gigabyte Vision 3090

32gb RAM

Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P MB

Hey,

Is your system overclocked? If so, try deactivating the overclock and see what happens on default settings.

13 hours ago, chrome_wheels said:

Hey,

Is your system overclocked? If so, try deactivating the overclock and see what happens on default settings.

Hey, nothing is overclocked.

Hey,

So the culprit is either the onboard integrated graphics or drivers. Try disabling anything related to onboard graphics inside the BIOS, save and reboot.

Recently, I purchased a very good application in regarding missing drivers. It's called Driver Booster 8. I didn't have problems with games though everything seems to be working a lot better now. Try the program. 

Gigabyte's website doesn't seem to display the manual so I can't guide you on disabling the feature.

What Power supply do you own?

What are your temperatures and usage for your cpu and gpu like? Did any settings get reset when you installed the windows update or graphics drivers?

I hope this helps 🙂 

17 hours ago, chrome_wheels said:

Hey,

So the culprit is either the onboard integrated graphics or drivers. Try disabling anything related to onboard graphics inside the BIOS, save and reboot.

Recently, I purchased a very good application in regarding missing drivers. It's called Driver Booster 8. I didn't have problems with games though everything seems to be working a lot better now. Try the program. 

Gigabyte's website doesn't seem to display the manual so I can't guide you on disabling the feature.

Hey, my CPU (Ryzen 5900x) doesn't support integrated graphics, so the option has been automatically removed from the bios, all drivers are up to date, problem still persist.

11 hours ago, BigNavi31 said:

What Power supply do you own?

What are your temperatures and usage for your cpu and gpu like? Did any settings get reset when you installed the windows update or graphics drivers?

I hope this helps 🙂 

Ok so i know i'm pushing it but it's a Corsair RM650i, i plan to get a new PSU once the Seasonic ones are back in stock, but games have ran with 0 issues since i got the card a few several ago.

Temperatures are pretty normal, CPU sits around 45-50 idle and max is 70ish when being pushed hard.

GPU is similar, 45-50 idle and 60-70 when gaming.

I've think i've checked all the settings i can check, everything looks fine, i noticed the bios settings were changed before i updated the bios and after windows & game driver updates were installed which was odd but i changed them and still no fix.

Yep,

It could be the power supply or missing drivers. I'm hoping it's the power supply though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got my Seasonic TX1000 today and put it in my PC, started up Mad Max.. no change in performance, tried The Ascent and it felt like it was actually worse with 47fps in the main menu and <20fps in game with/without ray tracing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? the GPU doesn't even sound like it's ramping up when i start a game.

I noticed while trying to play The Ascent at 1440p with DLSS & Ray Tracing off, i'm only getting <50fps, GPU load was at 100%, TDP was at 46%, GPU-Z also shows "PerCap Reason" as being "Limited by total power limit", no temp was over 77c, GPU-Z also shows 12.3V / 0.1W through 8 PIN #2 constantly which i didn't notice before so could be a hardware issue? i've hit up Gigabyte to see what they think.