Seeking Flash Drive Recommendations

emcee2

32GB, USB 3.0 (or higher), USB 2.0 (backwards compatible), Fast read speed, Decent write speed. ~$10us or ???

The complaints on Amazon are the same for  every drive... Slow. Starts fast and becomes slow. Stops transfers for long periods of time. Unusable for making large transfers all at once. Write speeds too slow to use.  Lost data...

Some reviews love each drive and someone hates on every single one, and not just in the normal hit and miss of Amazon reviews.

Do you have any experience with a 'good' flash drive?  Please share opinions and speeds.

To tell the truth, I think all of the ones I've ever had were hand-me-downs.  Never put large files on them. I don't think I've even owed one more than 4gb, or 8 at the most.  Don't remember them getting hot, put who knows if they did or not.

Thanks, emcee2

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Jumpdrive-32GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B07XDCL7W9?tag=p00935-20&ascsubtag=00lZpQeZdWui2KT3f3ObCI9&th=1 this one seems to have a bunch less negative reviews near the top than the other ones, which means it should be better.

In reality, almost all 10 dollar flash drives will have a small but noticeable chance of failing in your course of using it. For this reason, I would never keep any important files on a flash drive without having them backed up. My hypothesis is that most of the people who buy usb drives that work are cool and don't bother writing a review for a mundane working product, while those with a bad experience are more likely to create a review, creating a sort of selection bias. That's just my theory.

I've had several of these Kingston ones for years now that I really like, the "downside" USB 2.0, I guess...

Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9

A while back I order several of these Samsung ones to add some USB 3.0 ones to my collection. I've got a mixture of 32 and 64 GB ones.

Samsung BAR Plus 32GB

The Samsung ones do get a bit warmer than the Kingston ones, but they work fine so far. I also prefer the shape of the Kingston ones as they don't interfere with other ports. However minor complaints I guess. The Samsung ones store data, and for just moving things back and forth they get the job done.

7 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I've had several of these Kingston ones for years now that I really like, the "downside" USB 2.0, I guess...

Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9

A while back I order several of these Samsung ones to add some USB 3.0 ones to my collection. I've got a mixture of 32 and 64 GB ones.

Samsung BAR Plus 32GB

The Samsung ones do get a bit warmer than the Kingston ones, but they work fine so far. I also prefer the shape of the Kingston ones as they don't interfere with other ports. However minor complaints I guess. The Samsung ones store data, and for just moving things back and forth they get the job done.

I second the Samsung BAR recommendation. I’ve had a 128 GB one I’ve been using for the past five or six years. Right now, it’s connected to the tv to serve anime and sitcoms. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…