LG 27GP850 or the Samsung G7 Odyssey 27"

c00face

I can't decide between these two monitors. I don't care too much about the refresh rate. I care more about visual and being immersed in the game or movie. I'll be playing more MMO than I would FPS, but I don't want to skip out of a balanced monitor either where I can run some competitive games. Running a RTX-3080 and trying to figure out which of these monitor will give me the best visual while still being a great monitor for casual FPS games.

I'm not a fan of the curve on the G7 and even with it being released for some time there are still problems reported regarding VRR and scanline issues. Many people also have problems with severe backlight bleed and other quality control things. To be clear: This monitor can be really good. But it's kind of a lottery and the chances of receiving a bad monitor seem to be the same as the chances receiving a good one.

However, the 27GP850 is a monitor i didn't hear bad things about. Of course the occasional bad example of backlight bleed or IPS glow but nothing nearly as substantial as the G7's issues. All in all it seems like a better overall choice imo.

I also had 2 27GN850's and 1 27GN950 and none of them had any substantial issues that made me think about returning one of them. So 3 out of 3 were "good" units.

But i also had a G7 and returned it because it had all the issues people seemed to have. Going anywhere from bad backlight bleed to flickering when G-Sync was enabled, etc. It could be i was just unlucky but it was the first monitor i had to send back in a long time. The biggest issue by far was that i just couldn't get used to the extreme curve. ANYTHING outside of games became hard to look at because of the distortion. (The monitor's curve introduced crooked lines where straight ones should be) So i didn't bother with a replacement and bought a 27GN850 with the 2nd one following shortly after.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

My friend had the opposite experience: 27GN850 had awful IPS glow, returned for G7 and currently no issues.

Aside from glow/backlight bleed lottery, G7 is a better monitor only if you can put up with 1000R curve. If possible you can go into retail store and see for yourself and if the curve is intolerable then LG is a better choice. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

Just now, BuzzingBee said:

My friend had the opposite experience: 27GN850 had awful IPS glow, returned for G7 and currently no issues.

Aside from glow/backlight bleed lottery, G7 is a better monitor only if you can put up with 1000R curve. If possible you can go into retail store and see for yourself and if the curve is intolerable then LG is a better choice. 

I went to the store today to try to see it in person, funny enough. lol. I couldn't find any G7 Samsung, but I saw the 1080P version and it looked beautiful. I saw the 27GP83B model, which is exactly the same as the 27GP850 model and I couldn't believe how much more crisp the Samsung was, even at 1080P. I've already ordered the 27GP850 hastily, sadly. Should of waited and I probably would of went the G7 route. Seems to be a better experience.

19 minutes ago, c00face said:

I went to the store today to try to see it in person, funny enough. lol. I couldn't find any G7 Samsung, but I saw the 1080P version and it looked beautiful. I saw the 27GP83B model, which is exactly the same as the 27GP850 model and I couldn't believe how much more crisp the Samsung was, even at 1080P. I've already ordered the 27GP850 hastily, sadly. Should of waited and I probably would of went the G7 route. Seems to be a better experience.

If anything 27GP83B has better colour details while G7 has better contrast ratio (deeper black) unless your room is brightly lit it's harder to notice the difference. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820