2 Monitor Choice (UK)

FondleBuddies

Hello everyone, I'm looking at either:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DL615J1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_M2V3WGVZ9E2AYS1DM9HY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0866C9XJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_CZVZ6YGQJF5CBDRV7AQ8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=

But I am incredibly indecisive.  I'm currently running a ryzen 7 5800x with a 1060. The 1060 is a fill in for either a 3070 or 3080 when the prices are a little less wild in the UK. I'm wanting it mainly for halo infinite to be honest. I want the full immersion, smoothness and prettyness (I am very much a colour man, vibrant colours make me happy) .

I also currently mainline halo 3 swat so I like that fast reaction time and I also play much Arma 3 but you could view that through a calculator and it would still be just as aweful. My budget is max at that G7.

What do you guys think? Do you need more info?

P. S. I'm going monitor first because I am currently using an amazon special 32" cheapo that is like playing games with a pack of lurpack as the controller. I have had some advice from another forum but I like to get an array of info for a purchase like this. 

Neither has great colour accuracy mainly due to being curved panels. Also halo 3 doesn't support ultrawide does it? Keep in mind that for fps ultrawide screens can cause stretching of the view depending on how the games camera is made.

I personally do recommend the Gigabyte g27q as an amazing monitor for the price. But if it has to be between these 2 the samsung is less bad.

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Neither has great colour accuracy mainly due to being curved panels. Also halo 3 doesn't support ultrawide does it? Keep in mind that for fps ultrawide screens can cause stretching of the view depending on how the games camera is made.

I personally do recommend the Gigabyte g27q as an amazing monitor for the price. But if it has to be between these 2 the samsung is less bad.

Aye luckily halo 3 and all of MCC is supported. 

May I ask what puts forward your recommendation for the Gigabyte? Like what workload do you put it under that's made it your preferred? Just so I have an idea! 

Colour accuracy has never been a huge gripe of mine so long as the mickey isn't taken, I'm a simple man who enjoys vibrancy. (I have a curry's LG 4k telly which is reviewed poorly but I love it haha) 

Also, silly question but how noticeable is the frequency difference? One being 244hz and the other 144hz

1 minute ago, FondleBuddies said:

Aye luckily halo 3 and all of MCC is supported. 

May I ask what puts forward your recommendation for the Gigabyte? Like what workload do you put it under that's made it your preferred? Just so I have an idea! 

Colour accuracy has never been a huge gripe of mine so long as the mickey isn't taken, I'm a simple man who enjoys vibrancy. (I have a curry's LG 4k telly which is reviewed poorly but I love it haha) 

Also, silly question but how noticeable is the frequency difference? One being 244hz and the other 144hz

It is but the older games do show noticeable stretching (depending on the game) as the games weren't made for ultrawide.

Alrighty lets start numbering for ease of reading:

1. It's a great monitor that does everything well and just simply works great + is always supported due to being 16:9

2. Colour vibrancy is a double edged sword as some cheap screens can make yellow bright orange but others just make it a punchier yellow. The gigabyte has great colour accuracy and reproduction so you can adjust it to your liking without having to worry that things get messed up in terms of colours due to the display just not being good enough. It also has the advantage that it won't have differing brightness/colours zones compared to a curved screen where that can happen.

3. Not. Unless you are a pro gamer you won't notice. That and apart from esports titles most games struggle to even reach 144hz or get over it as they were simply not built to get such high fps. It's why some older games are just stuck at certain fps limit no matter what same for newer games.

I'd go for none of them. The gigabyte is overpriced last gen VA that has some dark smearing, the G7 has the extreme curve that set me off. Not to mention it has issues regarding flickering and scanlines that are still not resolved after Samsung knowing about them for years now.

I'd get the LG 27GP850-B for that budget. Other than the inherently lower contrast coming from an IPS panel, this monitor is the best allrounder out there.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

It is but the older games do show noticeable stretching (depending on the game) as the games weren't made for ultrawide.

Alrighty lets start numbering for ease of reading:

1. It's a great monitor that does everything well and just simply works great + is always supported due to being 16:9

2. Colour vibrancy is a double edged sword as some cheap screens can make yellow bright orange but others just make it a punchier yellow. The gigabyte has great colour accuracy and reproduction so you can adjust it to your liking without having to worry that things get messed up in terms of colours due to the display just not being good enough. It also has the advantage that it won't have differing brightness/colours zones compared to a curved screen where that can happen.

3. Not. Unless you are a pro gamer you won't notice. That and apart from esports titles most games struggle to even reach 144hz or get over it as they were simply not built to get such high fps. It's why some older games are just stuck at certain fps limit no matter what same for newer games.

Aye i get what you mean. Ill keep it in mind! Thankfully Infinite should have that sorted.

1. Thats great! But what did you mean by 'The Samsung is less bad'? 

2.Aye i get you, ive definitely seen things like that. Although i have just noticed that the monitor you recommend is flat.

3. Thats great to hear, thank you!

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd go for none of them. The gigabyte is overpriced last gen VA that has some dark smearing, the G7 has the extreme curve that set me off. Not to mention it has issues regarding flickering and scanlines that are still not resolved after Samsung knowing about them for years now.

I'd get the LG 27GP850-B for that budget. Other than the inherently lower contrast coming from an IPS panel, this monitor is the best allrounder out there.

I'm sorry to be awkward to you both but I really would prefer to get a curved panel. I enjoy myself a good gimmick (I had the flagship windows 7 phone, in orange) and this is the current trend. I seen a panel in the same curvature and at 32" it wasn't too wild for me.

So i guess my point is, what would the best curved option be? (Unless you have a absolute shoot this idea out the sky point, if you know what I mean).I'm committed to the curve.

20 hours ago, FondleBuddies said:

Aye i get what you mean. Ill keep it in mind! Thankfully Infinite should have that sorted.

1. Thats great! But what did you mean by 'The Samsung is less bad'? 

2.Aye i get you, ive definitely seen things like that. Although i have just noticed that the monitor you recommend is flat.

3. Thats great to hear, thank you!

I'm sorry to be awkward to you both but I really would prefer to get a curved panel. I enjoy myself a good gimmick (I had the flagship windows 7 phone, in orange) and this is the current trend. I seen a panel in the same curvature and at 32" it wasn't too wild for me.

So i guess my point is, what would the best curved option be? (Unless you have a absolute shoot this idea out the sky point, if you know what I mean).I'm committed to the curve.

The issue is quality control. Which for all curved panels right now is garbage. You would not be the first person to have to send back 5 monitors due to a bunch of defects. The showroom models and review models were hand picked by samsung to represent a best case scenario and so did others. There are a couple video's of review units vs a random store one and it's often quite obvious what the difference is.

I mean a good buddy of mine wanted the big g9 and worked at the store he bought it from but had to go through 12 before he got one that didn't have dead pixels, flickering, refresh rate issues, very obvious brightness issues, obvious ips glow to the naked eye even in not too dark scenes. Now that he got basically a reviewer unit of quality the monitor is stunning but be prepared for the journey you'll take when going for the g7 and that the store you buy from has a good return policy.

This is why I said the g7 is less bad as well it's such a luck of the draw. I'd also not buy a monitor for a gimmick. The g7 is small enough where a curve doesn't really matter but the g9 would be too big without one. So if you really want a ultrawide stick to what works for now and get a flat one instead of these rushed out curved screens.

But if you are dead set on going for it go for a store with good return policy.

Also the og windows phone 7 was a pretty darn good phone so you lucked out there :p. Going for the latest gimmick is well always risky as well it's a gimmick not a needed feature. So often this is cheaply implemented and used for marketing more than it is useful.