I7 7700k Idles at 45 - 50 C with a 120mm rad. Should I change the rad

RandomRomanianGuy

The rad is an ID Cooling rad about as old as the CPU. I don't have an exact model. The case is an nJoy Fort, so 240mm is the biggest rad I can get.

Load temperatures matter more than idle temperatures. What are your load temperatures? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

idle does not matter

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

5 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Load temperatures matter more than idle temperatures. What are your load temperatures? 

I use an MSI Gaming M7 that has the temperature displayed on some 7 segment-displays. While loading Minecraft, It usually caps out at around 82C. While launching a rocket in Kerbal space program it will sometimes go past 85, but return to the high 70s in about 10 seconds. Currently downloading PassMark to test it in a more controlled enviorment

2 minutes ago, RandomRomanianGuy said:

I use an MSI Gaming M7 that has the temperature displayed on some 7 segment-displays. While loading Minecraft, It usually caps out at around 82C. While launching a rocket in Kerbal space program it will sometimes go past 85, but return to the high 70s in about 10 seconds. Currently downloading PassMark to test it in a more controlled enviorment

That's a bit high for me on the CPU. Upgrading the cooler would probably be your best option. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

That's a bit high for me on the CPU. Upgrading the cooler would probably be your best option. 

10030 score on PassMark with 90C peak and 70C avg

Just now, RandomRomanianGuy said:

10030 score on PassMark with 90C peak and 70C avg

I'd still upgrade the CPU cooler to bring temps down. If you have the CPU on Turbo Boost, it'll probably boost at a higher frequency and squeeze more FPS out. 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

I'd still upgrade the CPU cooler to bring temps down. If you have the CPU on Turbo Boost, it'll probably boost at a higher frequency and squeeze more FPS out. 

I don't really use turbo, but according to MSI Gaming App, the CPU stays between 4200Hz and 4500Hz. What cooler would you recommend with a black theme in mind and RGB not required?

I don't really use turbo, but according to MSI Gaming App, the CPU stays between 4200Hz and 4500Hz. What cooler would you recommend with a black theme in mind and RGB not required?

I would personally say a Noctua NH-D15 or be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, as I'm more of an advocate (<-biased) for air cooling than AIOs. These high-end air coolers can beat the performance of some 240mm AIOs. 

12 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I would personally say a Noctua NH-D15 or be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, as I'm more of an advocate (<-biased) for air cooling than AIOs. These high-end air coolers can beat the performance of some 240mm AIOs. 

Problem: My case supports 160mm coolers MAX. I know the NH-U12S to be good, but what else would you say is good?

5 minutes ago, RandomRomanianGuy said:

Problem: My case supports 160mm coolers MAX. I know the NH-U12S to be good, but what else would you say is good?

You can fit a NH-D15S in there (height with the fan is 160mm), although it's cutting it close. NH-U12S is a pretty decent air cooler too.

What about the NH-U14S?? Slightly bigger than the U12S.

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

You can fit a NH-D15S in there (height with the fan is 160mm), although it's cutting it close. NH-U12S is a pretty decent air cooler too.

What about the NH-U14S?? Slightly bigger than the U12S.

image.png.c82704a3b66edfbc8a69113b3d859239.png NH-D15S . Running out of space, but NH-D14 is exactly 160mm according to noctua. I guess I will be going with the U12s

image.png.c82704a3b66edfbc8a69113b3d859239.png NH-D15S . Running out of space, but NH-D14 is exactly 160mm according to noctua. I guess I will be going with the U12s

The D15S fan can be installed in between the two towers and lowered to allow for space...it'll still fit.

If you don't feel comfortable going with it, go with the U12S.

On 8/8/2021 at 4:49 AM, RandomRomanianGuy said:

That's a bit high but far from dangerous. Are you running stock clocks? If so, an undervolt would be an easy and free way to lower temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.