[URGENT] Can't remove CPU Cooler

CallumOKane

Trying to remove my CPU cooler as I have now got a AIO cooler, 3 of the screws came out fine but one of them. The thing is, it turns and it seems as though it's being screwed, but it just doesn't come out any further. I have no tools that can assist me with this.

would help to know which cooler/cpu?

and wait for answers, before  u screw anything  up (figuratively and literally )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, puppo said:

whats your current cpu cooler and socket?

Got the Hyper H411R on an AM4 Socket. I have managed to remove the heatsink from the mount to make it easier

4 minutes ago, CallumOKane said:

Got the Hyper H411R on an AM4 Socket. I have managed to remove the heatsink from the mount to make it easier

you have no utensiles rn? i dont really know how to help, maybe use a knife (round point) ah and btw dont pull strong the heatsink, you could damage the cpu and bend the pins, to help with this just try to heat the cpu with something hot, but without an open flame

Just now, puppo said:

you have no utensiles rn? i dont really know how to help, maybe use a knife (round point)

I might do yes, how might that come in handy? Also if you think I meant I have no screwdriver when I said no tools, I was mainly referring to something to like cut the screw etc

Just now, CallumOKane said:

I might do yes, how might that come in handy? Also if you think I meant I have no screwdriver when I said no tools, I was mainly referring to something to like cut the screw etc

ohhh sorry, i didnt undertsand that, btw i changed the message with some usefull tips

1 minute ago, CallumOKane said:

Can you post a picture of what you've got going on? It might make it easier for us to understand.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, puppo said:

ohhh sorry, i didnt undertsand that, btw i changed the message with some usefull tips

I've actually gotten it off the CPU, as I had gotten the first 3 removed, so the CPU can actually be left untouched, I'll try get a picture in a second

1 minute ago, CallumOKane said:

I've actually gotten it off the CPU, as I had gotten the first 3 removed, so the CPU can actually be left untouched, I'll try get a picture in a second

so, rn which is the problem? did you resolve evrything?

Just now, puppo said:

so, rn which is the problem? did you resolve evrything?

Ok, I've attached an image, the issue is that the screw will turn, but not actually come out at all

IMG_20210807_174310.jpg

2 minutes ago, CallumOKane said:

Ok, I've attached an image, the issue is that the screw will turn, but not actually come out at all

IMG_20210807_174310.jpg

if you cant screw it, then cut it, i know its a really dangerous thing, but i think its the only thing to do, if you dont feel safe to do it then wait for other suggestion, im sorry :((

Just now, puppo said:

if you cant screw it, then cut it, i know its a really dangerous thing, but i think its the only thing to do, if you dont feel safe to do it then wait for other suggestion, im sorry :((

I've nothing to cut it with.

You need to stop bending it all over the place. The hole this goes through in the motherboard is supposed to be round. Hopefully you haven't hit any traces in the PCB.

Grab a set of pliers. Hold the black plastic bit with the pliers and turn the screw with a screwdriver. 

image.png.7a01605c774922fc07e93ef64ad65f2f.png

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

You need to stop bending it all over the place. The hole this goes through in the motherboard is supposed to be round. Hopefully you haven't hit any traces in the PCB.

Grab a set of pliers. Hold the black plastic bit with the pliers and turn the screw with a screwdriver. 

image.png.7a01605c774922fc07e93ef64ad65f2f.png

Actually, the holes on this motherboard where actually cut like that in factory, but ye either way, I'm trying to find something that can work as a pliers because the only pair that were in the house are lost

What's on the back side of that plastic? It looks like that shaft should slot into the cooler backplate. I'm guessing what happened is you tightened that corner down too far when you assembled the cooler, and twisted it in the plastic. Now the plastic won't hold that shaft for you to unscrew the cooler mount. If that's the case, you might be able to remove the retention clip that goes on the backplate after the shaft and give you another spot to hold it. Or you might get lucky and it fits through the giant hole in the motherboard. Don't try to force it through the motherboard though.

image.png.60422cdee2e33b4c40b312d0c3805fd1.png

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What's on the back side of that plastic? It looks like that shaft should slot into the cooler backplate. I'm guessing what happened is you tightened that corner down too far when you assembled the cooler, and twisted it in the plastic. Now the plastic won't hold that shaft for you to unscrew the cooler mount. If that's the case, you might be able to remove the retention clip that goes on the backplate after the shaft and give you another spot to hold it. Or you might get lucky and it fits through the giant hole in the motherboard. Don't try to force it through the motherboard though.

image.png.60422cdee2e33b4c40b312d0c3805fd1.png

I've attempted that but cannot get a good grip at all, it just keeps spinning, I might find something to wrap around it and grip instead of my fingers though

42 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

would it be a good idea to remove the mobo from the case and try holding the screw from the backside of the mobo?

im kinda imagining this similar to a stripped standoff screw… but im not sure tbh.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

would it be a good idea to remove the mobo from the case and try holding the screw from the backside of the mobo?

im kinda imagining this similar to a stripped standoff screw… but im not sure tbh.

I think it would be smart to remove it. OP's pictures make it look like it's out of the case and on a table. 

@CallumOKaneYou're going to need something to hold that post for the backplate. If it's tight enough to twist in plastic, you're not going to be able to hold it and unscrew it. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I think it would be smart to remove it. OP's pictures make it look like it's out of the case and on a table. 

@CallumOKaneYou're going to need something to hold that post for the backplate. If it's tight enough to twist in plastic, you're not going to be able to hold it and unscrew it. 

yeah... looks like it but wasnt sure either.

And yes, thats kinda the problem then, need pliers of some kind most likely.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity