Why the Linus obsession with projectors?

I may have exaggerated a little bit with the use of the word "obsession" but lately Linus seems to be very infatuated with using projectors both for Linus Media Group as well as for his personal use. Can someone explain to me the big appeal and if there's something I'm just not seeing here. What I mean is that currently the best "normal people" TV is the LG OLED G1 which comes at a pretty nice 77 inch size so it's not exactly small either. If you have just rivers of cash lying around, then you can even get the LG OLED Z1 that comes in 88 inches, which is even more huge than 77 inches as well as also going from 4k to 8k. 

Current OLED technology makes for an infinitely better, vivid, more fun and altogether superior viewing experience by far than a projector does. So this comes back to my question, am I missing something? If yes, then what?

Price. Price, price, price. It's much cheaper to buy a tiny screen that goes through a lens and is made big (how a projector works) than an absolutely massive screen. Linus could prolly afford the big expensive TVs but I would say a good bit of the viewers would see that as unnecessary, so he's recommending other options for a large screen.

A TV in the size he wants and the quality level he wants, normal TV's are just too expensive. (if you've been watching/listening to the WAN Show, this is clear) so ultra high end projectors are a better option. Still ultra expensive but not $350k expensive.

As was said above, price.

16 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Price. Price, price, price. It's much cheaper to buy a tiny screen that goes through a lens and is made big (how a projector works) than an absolutely massive screen. Linus could prolly afford the big expensive TVs but I would say a good bit of the viewers would see that as unnecessary, so he's recommending other options for a large screen.

The projectors Linus is looking at for his home are in the $50-80K range, so cheap isn't really the deal. Yes, you can buy projectors that are cheaper than top end TVs, but those projectors almost universally suck. You need to be in pitch black darkness to even approach the visual fidelity of a TV and even then, it's still not as good. The only benefit is being able to have like a 150” "screen".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

To my understanding, it's just about size. He's trying to set up a true home theater and just wants bigger than 77-88”. Setting aside things like the Wall, you're only going to get that with projectors right now.

He actually isn't really obsessed with projectors even then, as he's talked repeatedly about their many downsides, especially the low light requirement. I think in the last WAN show he actually said that he's most likely going to end up with a TV, a balling micro-LED one, mind you, but he actually seems to be cooling on the idea of projectors.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

To my understanding, it's just about size. He's trying to set up a true home theater and just wants bigger than 77-88”. Setting aside things like the Wall, you're only going to get that with projectors right now.

He actually isn't really obsessed with projectors even then, as he's talked repeatedly about their many downsides, especially the low light requirement. I think in the last WAN show he actually said that he's most likely going to end up with a TV, a balling micro-LED one, mind you, but he actually seems to be cooling on the idea of projectors.

After the demise of The Wall idea, I think an uber-high end cinema level projector was what he wanted but the wife-factor is the problem. 

the downfall to any projector will always be light. but setting a room up right. a good screen area, with a good projector you can have one hell of a set up. all it takes is money

3 hours ago, gamerstarwars said:

Why the Linus obsession with projectors?

He's got three kids. A projecting screen costs a lot less to replace than an actual monitor/TV screen.

Isn't windows three-sixty-five just a more recent version of windows three-eleven?

• 1 month later...

Exactly how much is a 110" OLED tv?

In the meantime, how about I just enjoy the projectors.

• 2 weeks later...

His theater room looked small to me.  Any idea what size it is?

The worst thing is having a screen so big that you have to move your head from side to side like watching a tennis match. 

7 hours ago, King_PIN said:

His theater room looked small to me.  Any idea what size it is?

The worst thing is having a screen so big that you have to move your head from side to side like watching a tennis match. 

I agree.  It's even worse than having to squint to see anything because the display is too small.  Best bet is to go to a place like Best Buy, and stand in front of a display at a distance you feel maximizes display size--without overpowering you and your peripherals.  Then measure your distance to the display and check the overall diagonal of the display.

I am a die hard 1:1 believer, but you can go as high as 2:1.  Anything higher than that, and you're simply not getting a big enough display.