850W Prime Ultra Gold and the 3080ti

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 3080ti Strix and it currently has flashing red lights on the power conectors, I have replugged each cable from each side and have not managed to get rid of the red lights, turned off the PSU for a few mins on each attempt, I replugged the cables (no daisy chaining) once whilst it was flashing (PSU on, computer off) and the lights disappear once plugged in, but flash once I power on my PC.

I then decided to Powerlimited my GPU to 75% and that got rid of 2 of the flashing lights and then set it to 100% and again the lights appeared again in all 3.

I can only assume that the PSU is an issue, however if anyone knows there is any other thing I could do, I will.

If not and I need a new PSU, any recommendations would be nice, I saw on the tier list that Primes need 1kW and 1.2kW for 3080/90.

Thanks!. 

what psu? if i remeber correctly red lights mean no power and blinking lights mean bad voltage ripple on strix crads

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

oh you haev the 850 prime ultra? that is no good for 3080ti, since it cannot hand the transient spikes of the gpu. that also depend on rest of oyur specs?

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

3 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

oh you haev the 850 prime ultra? that is no good for 3080ti, since it cannot hand the transient spikes of the gpu. that also depend on rest of oyur specs?

Correct the Prime Ultra 850 Gold, I haven't had the Crashes that some people have had but the lights could be voltage ripple.

As for specs sorry I forgot!

5900x

Patriot 4400 (2 kits of 2x8) running at 3800 cl16 1.45v

GPU you know

3 Nvme's

2 Sata SSD's

2 HDD's at 5400RPM only for storage

I have RGB thawt is pretty much always off, wattage calc on pcpartpicker was about 660-680W with everything if I remember.

Thanks for your help!

17 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!

How much does your current PSU deliver on the +12v rail?

Thanks!

Per the Box 840W on the +12v 

Running Furmark I had 0 issues along CPU burn test, however at the end of the GPU test I do get a tiny bit where the perf cap is listed as Vrel and VOp on GPU-z

9 minutes ago, Imperator_Diocletian said:

Thanks!

Per the Box 840W on the +12v 

Running Furmark I had 0 issues along CPU burn test, however at the end of the GPU test I do get a tiny bit where the perf cap is listed as Vrel and VOp on GPU-z

It seems to think it's drawing too much power but it's actually not... Try setting the power limit at 95% and see if the lights still come on.

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

It seems to think it's drawing too much power but it's actually not... Try setting the power limit at 95% and see if the lights still come on.

One of the connectors stopped flashing, this happened when I ran it at 75% (got 2 connectors to stop flashing) and putting it back to full power puts them flashing again.

2 minutes ago, Imperator_Diocletian said:

One of the connectors stopped flashing, this happened when I ran it at 75% (got 2 connectors to stop flashing) and putting it back to full power puts them flashing again.

Opening GPU-Z, does it tell you the voltage and power draw of the 2 connectors? My GTX 980 does but don't know if newer cards do the same.

Connector 1: 12.4 others 12.3V which seems...just okay.

And yes GPU-z tells me the power readings for them individually and voltage, Connector 1 seems to have the highest in idle but that could be the way the card is.

Ran furmark with the 95% PL and got all 3 connectors about the same 110ishW with 2 pulling the most power by like 3W (also the second is the cable that is not flashing currently)  the 3rd  being lower than the first too by 10 or so W, Pcie power at about 40W.

58 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Opening GPU-Z, does it tell you the voltage and power draw of the 2 connectors? My GTX 980 does but don't know if newer cards do the same.

To add to my last post I've tested it again with 75% and now it is only one conecter that flashes.

Decdided to run Furmark to at 114% power to see if that caused any flashing on the other 2 connecters but no, it only stays on one which suggests the issue is on boot, and I have no clue what that could be.

RTX 3080/3080 Ti/3090 give to much noise on the sensewire of Seasonic Prime G/Pl/Ti PSUs.

If you buy a new PSU, skip Seasonic. They give to much troubles. 850w Corsair RMx//RMi/HX V2/HXi, Super Flower Leadex III, Fractal Design ION+, Thermaltake GF1 work flawless with 3080 Ti/3090.

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

RTX 3080/3080 Ti/3090 give to much noise on the sensewire of Seasonic Prime G/Pl/Ti PSUs.

If you buy a new PSU, skip Seasonic. They give to much troubles. 850w Corsair RMx//RMi/HX V2/HXi, Super Flower Leadex III, Fractal Design ION+, Thermaltake GF1 work flawless with 3080 Ti/3090.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of getting a seasonic tx-1000 or a corsair hx/hxi 1000 or 1200, I'll forget about Seasonic for now tho.

Wasn't aware Thermaltake had PSUs but the GF1 looks interesting.

Out of all those PSUs what would you recommend and would the manufacturer be okay with me using cablemods (might as well get some if getting a new PSU).

Edit: by HX v2 do you mean the older non plat version of the HX?

Update:

decided to run afterburner auto oc for some dumb reason, PSU is making some clicking(not exactly but close to the old floppy drive sound if anyone is old enough to remember that and at a lot quicker pace) so it's definetely the PSU doing something, can't believe I never thought of taking my headphones off, sound appears on when gpu hits full load, so no idea what it is and the computer went into a reboot.

So dumb for not removing my headphones

Looks like I'll need a new one, anyone have any suggestions along with SID's?

Edit sound could be fan on psu unsure.

2 hours ago, Imperator_Diocletian said:

using cablemods

Modulair replacements or extensions?

18 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Modulair replacements or extensions?

Replacements ideally, I know seasonic was ok with that but dunno of any other manufacturers.

Edit: Also I currently do not have cablemods as switching wires shouldn't be done unless compatible, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

3 hours ago, Imperator_Diocletian said:

HX v2 do you mean the older non plat version of the HX?

The Platinum.

Corsair is OK with Cablemod.

2 hours ago, --SID-- said:

The Platinum.

Corsair is OK with Cablemod.

Where I'm at the 1000w version and 1200w are almost the same price, is there a difference between either? Was looking at the Tom's hardware and saw the 1000w version had better ripple (could be due to be less wattage and me being dumb). 

Also thank you for your help!