Core vs Socket Temps

bizzehdee
Go to solution Solved by Demonic Donut,

Stock cooler? Sounds fairly normal, maybe a touch high. You could verify that your paste application is good, but most likely it is. Ryzen boosts as far as it can within power and thermal limits, 4.6ghz under load is good.

The core temp is always higher than socket temp. Core temp is within the CPU where the heat is being generated, socket temp is on the motherboard and is getting heat via conduction.

Change your fan curves and try to limit both the max fan rpm and how often it changes speed. I really like the fan control software posted in the forum here. It gives excellent control and is extremely customizable.

I have a ryzen 7 5800x on an msi mag mortar b550, and ive been having issues with my fans spinning up super loud even with the slightest blip of load.

I have worked out that no matter what, any immediate load causes the "CPU Core" temp to report 90c, but the socket temp is reporting 61c, and other HWInfo temps that claim to be CPU related, are also around the 60c mark. I have ran cinebench r23 for 10 minutes, and the cpu maintains a stable turbo of 4.6ghz, CPU core claims 90c the whole time, and cpu socket bounces around 59-61 the whole time

Is this usual behaviour? I have the option in my motherboard to switch the cpu fan to monitor the socket temp rather than the core temp. Should i switch, or change over? I am looking to extract the performance out of the machine, but i also do not want it to sound like a jet trying to take off.

Stock cooler? Sounds fairly normal, maybe a touch high. You could verify that your paste application is good, but most likely it is. Ryzen boosts as far as it can within power and thermal limits, 4.6ghz under load is good.

The core temp is always higher than socket temp. Core temp is within the CPU where the heat is being generated, socket temp is on the motherboard and is getting heat via conduction.

Change your fan curves and try to limit both the max fan rpm and how often it changes speed. I really like the fan control software posted in the forum here. It gives excellent control and is extremely customizable.

2 hours ago, bizzehdee said:

I have the option in my motherboard to switch the cpu fan to monitor the socket temp rather than the core temp.

HWInfo or if you don't want that much information, just Ryzen Master. 

Man, I haven't used Core Temp in 10 years.