4K Ultrawide?

Broth3rz

I have this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9HCJ2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's nice and everything but I wanna do 4K video tutorials and there is no way to get 4K on this monitor, I've tried everything I can think of. I could do 1080p but I rather have higher quality in my videos and future proof them. Plus I really need more vertical space for my DAW, and this monitor can't give me that.

So is there like any monitor that is ultrawide, like 34-38 inches but can also be set to 4K? So when I record I can switch to 4K, but when I'm in my DAW I can turn the resolution to ultrawide?

I don't mind having bar bars on the side for when I record my tutorials, but it would be nice to be able to switch from ultrawide to 4k for different tasks but it seems that its just not a thing right now?

My only other option is to go with a 43' or something but then I'll be looking up a lot and I didn't really want that. Any ideas?

To add on to what is already suggested. 1080p is by far the most common resolution on yt. I've looked this up last year and multiple polls where done where 4k (and 8k) together were only a couple % of the people viewing youtube. So if the 4k ultrawides don't offer what you want don't worry about recording in a lower resolution most people won't ever look at it in 4k anyway.

I want to future proof my videos by recording in 4K because in time it will become mainstream.. years I'm sure but it will. Plus even if I only allowed for the 1080p option I'd still wanna record in 4K then down sample that to 1080p for better quality overall.

These are so pricey for to have this option.. And they are small, I was hoping for a 38' or something. 

Is there anyway to FORCE 4K on this monitor somehow? I don't think I can since the max vertical resolution for it is 1440p if that matters? I have a RTX 3070, so it can run 4K easy..

On 8/3/2021 at 10:42 AM, Broth3rz said:

I want to future proof my videos by recording in 4K because in time it will become mainstream.. years I'm sure but it will. Plus even if I only allowed for the 1080p option I'd still wanna record in 4K then down sample that to 1080p for better quality overall.

As a matter of fact the film industry already uses 4K as a standard for years. For content creation 4K is the way to go imo. That way people with 4K screens can use 4K and everyone else the resolution/quality they want/need.

These are so pricey for to have this option.. And they are small, I was hoping for a 38' or something.

That's because this resolution is pretty much only used in professional applications, where people are ready to pay more for a longer warranty and (maybe) better product support and reliability.

Is there anyway to FORCE 4K on this monitor somehow? I don't think I can since the max vertical resolution for it is 1440p if that matters? I have a RTX 3070, so it can run 4K easy..

You can enable DSR (dynamic super resolution) in the Nvidia control panel's "3D settings". This will allow to virtually use your monitor as a 4K screen in some applications. But afaik not on the desktop. And mastering your 4K content on a screen that is not 4K doesn't make sense, as you won't have an accurate representation of how it will look on a real 4K screen.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

There is a way to make a custom DSP? I turned it on and I did 4x and can clearly run that so getting 700 px vertically I don't see being an issue and if my monitor is set at that resolution and I record in that also with OBS, not sure what the issue would be. But my issue is trying to get the 4K with black bars on the side with a custom DSR. Not sure how to set it up value wise. I don't mind changing registry stuff. Anyway you can help?

20 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

There is a way to make a custom DSP? I turned it on and I did 4x and can clearly run that so getting 700 px vertically I don't see being an issue and if my monitor is set at that resolution and I record in that also with OBS, not sure what the issue would be. But my issue is trying to get the 4K with black bars on the side with a custom DSR. Not sure how to set it up value wise. I don't mind changing registry stuff. Anyway you can help?

You'll have to go into scaling options and set it so it scales fixed to the aspect ratio. This will avoid streching to a wider screen.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 2:59 AM, Stahlmann said:

You'll have to go into scaling options and set it so it scales fixed to the aspect ratio. This will avoid streching to a wider screen.

With doing DSR there is no way to make a custom resolution, the resolution is auto selected by selecting 1.5, 2.0, etc.

Playing around with settings, SOMEHOW I was able to get the 4K resolution on it, but it won't give me the black bars on the sides no matter what selection (scaling tab) I make in the NVIDIA Control Panel, once I click apply, the Control panel just closes (crashes).

So if there is a way to make a CUSTOM DSR where I can put in specifically the 4K resolution I should be good, if I can get the black bars on the side, which I need so the 4K resolution won't be stretched out on my monitor.

Someone help! Any ideas?

32 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

With doing DSR there is no way to make a custom resolution, the resolution is auto selected by selecting 1.5, 2.0, etc.

Playing around with settings, SOMEHOW I was able to get the 4K resolution on it, but it won't give me the black bars on the sides no matter what selection (scaling tab) I make in the NVIDIA Control Panel, once I click apply, the Control panel just closes (crashes).

So if there is a way to make a CUSTOM DSR where I can put in specifically the 4K resolution I should be good, if I can get the black bars on the side, which I need so the 4K resolution won't be stretched out on my monitor.

Someone help! Any ideas?

Try these settings: (it's in german but you should be able to decipher it) "Anzeige" means "display", otherwise tick the boxes i did.

image.png.d4715097cc5d90a0f8f69f10d5257620.png