Request for New PC Build Recommendations

Go to solution Solved by brob,
On 8/9/2021 at 11:20 PM, Tangerine07 said:

brob - I was just looking at the CPU specs on the Intel website and I saw that the recommended RAM was DDR4-3200 and I've bought DDR4-3600.

Am I right in assuming that the RAM will still work, but throttled back to 3200 or has there been an error made?

Cheers,

Les.

The memory will work. Check BIOS memory options. If XMP is supported then you should be able to run memory at its advertised speed. 

My first post here after stumbling (literally) onto LTT's YT channel and really enjoying the wealth of info it provides.

Its been quite a while since I built my last PC (it may show) and this option for determining how to put one together with what's available is, I must say, a valuable resource to all.

So thank you, hope I've listed enough of what I'm after without being too cryptic.

Budget (including currency): AUS$1800 +/- 10%

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

• StarCraft/Diablo
  • MS Office,
  • Hi-Res Music / Movie Streaming
  • Internet access via WiFi
  • Able to handle external WD drives USB 2 & 3 (and latest standard) as I need to organise a lot of data/music and have one as a shared resource on the home net.

Other details Build is starting from scratch as I run a Toshiba QOSMIO Q70-B laptop that I want to wipe and just use for work (it's been a good lappie).

• CPU - Unlocked (nice to have) AMD Ryzen (desired)
  • No need for RGB (but won't say no on RAM if the budget allows me to see it - see case specs below).
  • Case - magnetic mesh filters (desired) / glass sided case (nice to have)
  • Solid mouse/keyboard
  • One 24" (or greater if budget allows) 1080p (minimum) monitor (one for now, will duplicate later)
  • Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive/burner (yes I know...).
  • If it's suitable, I'd like SSD drives. I guess one to boot from (essential) and others to store data (nice to have) etc as the design (cost) sees fit.
  • Will need Window 10 (assume 64) as I don't want to drag all the bloatware off my laptop in a transfer, unless there's a clean way to do it.

Buying now.

Purchasing locally or via Amazon Prime to avoid crippling GST and postage costs if buying overseas.

Will build my self (Electronics Technician by trade - AAS 32 ET) 

For your specs i will suggest not going more than :

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X (usign the 5800X is tempting but i dont think you need that much power for your jobs)

Mobo : Gigabyte b550 pro

Ram : Patriot 32gb 3600 Viper ELite II or Steel dual channel ram

Storage : 1 x SSD Patriot 512gb (i use them they are somehow midrange in  performance but work like a charm) for Booting and some storage

1 x SSD PAtriot 1Tb (mainly for storage)

Windows 10 Pro edition

GPU : Amd Radeon gpro 6200 or just a workstation card like radeon pro wx3100 (would be okay at price now that the gpu prices are way too high than they used to be. You dont play so tough graphic games and the job you need the pc is mainly storing and music as you state.

Case : cougar panzer max (i have it using watercooling materials into it having more space than i need and enough room for storage and fans. have also tempered glass and magnetic mesh filter front and top.

Psu :600W 80+gold (not higher or lower for not requiring to upgrade it soon but to be able to put more storage or another cpu later) i trust alot thermaltake but gigabyte has put on some good ones lately.

DVD-blue ray : i turst pioneer as years in the optical disks writting. PIONEER EXTERNAL BLU-RAY RECORDER BDR-XD07TB

for mouse keyboard a good logitech combination will be nice. Keybopard and mouse are completely personal choice so i can say anythind more than brand

i dont want to use prices because from day to day they change.

I dont know if you can even find some of the parts ia suggest but i am giving you the main specifications i think that suit you best for the job you describe.

just dont spend alot in the gpu area. buy a graphics card that is near 150-200 dollars now till prices drop. then you reconsider.

hope i helped a bit

Based on the described usage and budget a locked cpu rather than investing in an unlocked cpu and all that is required to support it, I suggest a locked Intel cpu with integrated gpu. This allows budget to be better put towards more fast storage, a high quality case, excellent psu, and larger monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11500 2.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($319.00 @ JW Computers) 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler ($103.00 @ I-Tech) 

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B560-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.00 @ PC Byte) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.00 @ Amazon Australia) 

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($311.04 @ Amazon Australia) 

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Dark ATX Mid Tower Case ($259.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-212DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($96.00 @ Skycomp Technology) 

Monitor: BenQ EW2780Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor ($299.00 @ JW Computers) 

Total: $1834.04

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-04 00:46 AEST+1000

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks for all the help!!

The process lived up to expectations and I'm very grateful to all responders.

I ended up getting two monitors as they were selling out fast at that price, indeed the supplier quoted above had sold out by the time I went there to order.

So, with delivery costs and for one monitor the final cost was AUS$2030.60 due to small increases across the board for sourcing from other outlets due to items being out of stock, and the RAM sourced from the US via Amazon AU being purchased locally.

I look forward to putting this all together and showing it off.

Cheers!

UPDATE :-: 

Monitor sale fell through, well was cancelled by me, as they got back to me saying they didn't have stock (grrrrr) and that new stock would arrive in OCTOBER!.

So I ended up buying two from BENQ directly.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:46 AM, brob said:

Based on the described usage and budget a locked cpu rather than investing in an unlocked cpu and all that is required to support it, I suggest a locked Intel cpu with integrated gpu. This allows budget to be better put towards more fast storage, a high quality case, excellent psu, and larger monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B560-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.00 @ PC Byte) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.00 @ Amazon Australia) 

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($311.04 @ Amazon Australia) 

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-212DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($96.00 @ Skycomp Technology) 

brob - I was just looking at the CPU specs on the Intel website and I saw that the recommended RAM was DDR4-3200 and I've bought DDR4-3600.

Am I right in assuming that the RAM will still work, but throttled back to 3200 or has there been an error made?

Cheers,

Les.

On 8/9/2021 at 11:20 PM, Tangerine07 said:

Cheers,

Les.

The memory will work. Check BIOS memory options. If XMP is supported then you should be able to run memory at its advertised speed. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:46 AM, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Finally everything has been delivered!!

Time to get it all put together.

2455016B-28C7-4FB9-9222-2C07D904058C.jpeg