Using EVGA gpu cable on a fps power supply

Alite
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
1 hour ago, Alite said:

I did the measurements directly to the PSUs GPU pins(without vga cables) jump started both units and they gave the same 12v on the bottom right 3 pins (with the connector hole/ clip on top).

Measure at the end of the cables as well. The cables might twist on one and reverse it on the end that plugs in to the GPU.

It is made by FSP, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cables are the same.

So I just got a second hand fsp dagger sfx power supply with a gpu cable missing. I have this EVGA GQ gpu cable and run some test and it looks like they are interchangeable. Just to make sure that this wouldn't cause any problems. I did some voltage measurements and they seem to be exactly the same on the PSU end. Any concerns? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Alite said:

I have this EVGA GQ gpu cable and run some test and it looks like they are interchangeable

Take it off. Its not worth it to bet on it being stable, get an actual replacement cable designed for it. PSU cables are not meant to be interchangeable even between series.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Welcome to the formus!

Don't. Even if they have technically the same pinout, changing cables from psu to psu is never a good idea. The risk of damaging something is a bit too high. The hardware that could be ruined if that cable didn't work would surely be more expensive to replace than a PSU cable.

Hope I could help!

6 minutes ago, Alite said:

have this EVGA GQ gpu cable and run some test and it looks like they are interchangeable. Just to make sure that this wouldn't cause any problems. I did some voltage measurements and they seem to be exactly the same on the PSU end.

PCIe is +12V and ground. If you've measured with a multimeter and the +12V and ground are on the same pins then it's fine. Just double check to make sure it's correct before using it. Plug the cable in and probe the pins on the end of the cable and compare against the original EVGA GQ PCIe cable to make sure it matches.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thank you for the quick replies. I did the measurements directly to the PSUs GPU pins(without vga cables) jump started both units and they gave the same 12v on the bottom right 3 pins (with the connector hole/ clip on top).

I see that this EVGA unit is made by fsp? And if I would go through with this, the evga cable has a daisy chain while the fsp doesn't. Would using the daisy chain be troublesome you think?

1 hour ago, Alite said:

I did the measurements directly to the PSUs GPU pins(without vga cables) jump started both units and they gave the same 12v on the bottom right 3 pins (with the connector hole/ clip on top).

Measure at the end of the cables as well. The cables might twist on one and reverse it on the end that plugs in to the GPU.

It is made by FSP, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cables are the same.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450