Videocard problems / game crash on ,,high" usage

peterpetro5446

Hello everyone!

I recently moved from Florida to New Jersey which caused me to have some troubles. My pc was dropped on its bottom from like 2 feet high which shattered a leg which isnt the problem. During packing, overnight I left the computer in the trunk knowing I will have to take it out in order to pack more stuff under it, so it wasn't in a fixed down position and my father in law took the car in the morning to get breakfast for all of us and coffee. It made the glass panel shatter inside the case.

When we arrived I removed all the glass I could but I didn't take it completely apart other than the side panels, and tried to clean it with a can of air.
So days later I finally got to the point to plug the cables and finally sit down a bit to try and play some video games with my friends. I tried to launch world of warcraft, which started in a horrible resolution so I put it up to my monitors native, 4k. It put me to desktop several times, like blinked out of the game and within a minute or two it freezes and says "... not responding". I tried and had no issues on 1080p. I reinstalled the newest driver aswell.

So tried to launch warzone, which after loading into the menu froze instantly with directx dev error ( dev error 6068 ). I launched it in safe mode and it worked in the menu as long as it was in low resolution. When I adjusted it to 1440p it froze instantly. 
Which got me to turning off the computer and taking out my video card, and pressing on all the cables if the are properly connected to the motherboard. Took out the video card and gave it another go with the can of air.
After booting up the computer tried world of warcraft and it froze, on 720p resolution I had no problems with the game, as soon as I put it up to 4k it froze once again.

I have never checked on the rams.
I have never took the video card apart to check if there is glass pieces inside.

Z270A Pro Motherboard
I7700K
Asus 1080 strix
some kind of 4k samsung monitor-image0.thumb.jpg.72a5881d8941c0ad96d0f872f7b8d8d0.jpg

Sorry to see that.

On that note, I'd pick up a tube of thermal paste. Completely remove everything you can from the case. Blow it all out. Disassemble the GPU and blow that off. Remove the cooler and take the fans off, blow the cooler out. The farther you can tear everything down the better. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Oh Jesus that picture just gave me a heart attack. My condolences, that’s horrible. Glass is non conductive so can’t short anything out but what I would do is turn the whole pc face down and shake to get any excess glass out. Then (wearing gloves for safety of glass) take the video card out and shake that out too, then blow it off. Then take a can of compressed air and stick it in the end of every pcie slot and blow it out. What I assume is happening is there is glass in the pcie slot that is preventing the gpu from making a good connection, or the gpu shook loose and needs reseating. Also do the same with your ram, take out, shake, blow slot. It’s very unlikely any glass got In the cpu socket but I would recommend taking out the heat sink and cleaning that too. Finally blow out the power supply for good measure and blow out between the motherboard and case. Again man that really sucks that that happened but no actual hardware should be seriously damaged.

Thank you both @IkeaGnome & @Mel0nMan for your tips.
I had some time today and completely took apart the computer. Cleaned with alcohol and put new thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU. I also took out and reinstalled the ram, which one slot had a small fragment in it. Finally took out the PSU and blew it out with a can of air. seems like so far its working.

1 hour ago, peterpetro5446 said:

Thank you both @IkeaGnome & @Mel0nMan for your tips.
I had some time today and completely took apart the computer. Cleaned with alcohol and put new thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU. I also took out and reinstalled the ram, which one slot had a small fragment in it. Finally took out the PSU and blew it out with a can of air. seems like so far its working.

Glad you got it sorted!

What's your plan with the case? New side panel or new case? Could give you a hand finding one.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?