Help with a new gaming computer!

Chesk
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

Normally, building your own PC would save you some money, but right now, if you need a dedicated graphics card, that's easier said than done.

With a budget of $3500 CAD (~$2800 USD) you should be able to get a pre-built with an RTX 3080, let alone a 3070.

Does Newegg ship to your area? If so, here are a few options in descending price tiers: $2650 USD Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 - $2100 USD Intel 10700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 3070 Ti - $1800 USD Ryzen 3700X, 16GB RAM, RTX 3070

Hello, I'm in need of advice and help in getting a new gaming PC, I'm an absolute noob and I'm overwhelmed with options/pricing of new computers!  I've had this HP p6000 computer since 2010 with minor upgrades (GT430 to a GTX 650 graphics, 6 gb of ram to 16, 450 PSU to a 600, I think).  

I don't think anything could be reused from my PC except the CD drive.  Have a 500gb drive that's 10 years old!

-I live in Canada, Canadian pricing would be better suited for me

-$3,500 is my budget

- I'd like to be able to play DayZ, ARMA, Grand Theft Auto and iracing smoothly.  Haven't really PC gamed as I haven't had a great PC to do so

In terms of refresh rate or resolution, not sure.  Never had 1440p. So not the biggest deal, but would be neat.

- I'm interested in the RTX 3070 but is it worth how much they are going for?  The shadowing on Minecraft, for example has really intrigued me!

- I'm ready to buy anytime.  

I was interested in building, but does it really save that much money?  Considering I've never done so before, I'd prefer pre built.

Thank you, any advice is much appreciated

Normally, building your own PC would save you some money, but right now, if you need a dedicated graphics card, that's easier said than done.

With a budget of $3500 CAD (~$2800 USD) you should be able to get a pre-built with an RTX 3080, let alone a 3070.

Does Newegg ship to your area? If so, here are a few options in descending price tiers: $2650 USD Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 - $2100 USD Intel 10700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 3070 Ti - $1800 USD Ryzen 3700X, 16GB RAM, RTX 3070

9 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Yes!  There's newegg.ca

Which would be in Canadian pricing, thank you!  

I know the internet would be littered with the answer, but in your opinion, which is better.  Intel or AMD?  I remember Intel used to appear more expensive, now I'm noticing somewhat the opposite.

And I see what you mean about deticated graphics.  All RTX cards seem to be $1000 alone!

1 hour ago, Chesk said:

Yes!  There's newegg.ca

Which would be in Canadian pricing, thank you!  

I know the internet would be littered with the answer, but in your opinion, which is better.  Intel or AMD?  I remember Intel used to appear more expensive, now I'm noticing somewhat the opposite.

And I see what you mean about deticated graphics.  All RTX cards seem to be $1000 alone!

If you're mainly interested in gaming, Intel and AMD 5000 series are about equal, with a slight advantage going to AMD. Because AMD recently became better basically across the board with their 5000 series, the prices on AMD systems are going to be higher than Intel, but for gaming it isn't worth a huge premium. Both the 10700K and 5800X are great gaming CPUs that can easily max out a 3080 in most titles.

If you do productivity work, like rendering, AMD is better, but it isn't like an 8 core Intel CPU is slow. If you're mainly gaming, I'd focus on getting a good GPU. If it can be AMD, too, that's a bonus, but Intel is just fine.

Also, if you need room in the budget for a monitor, then that first system would go over budget. With a 3070 or 3080, I'd recommend getting a 1440p high refresh rate monitor for the games you play. I recently got an M27Q 1440p 170Hz monitor and I've really liked it. My 2060 Super isn't anywhere near as powerful as those, yet it still does well for 1440p gaming. The upgrade from 1080p 60Hz was nice and noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 5:58 PM, YoungBlade said:

If you're mainly interested in gaming, Intel and AMD 5000 series are about equal, with a slight advantage going to AMD. Because AMD recently became better basically across the board with their 5000 series, the prices on AMD systems are going to be higher than Intel, but for gaming it isn't worth a huge premium. Both the 10700K and 5800X are great gaming CPUs that can easily max out a 3080 in most titles.

If you do productivity work, like rendering, AMD is better, but it isn't like an 8 core Intel CPU is slow. If you're mainly gaming, I'd focus on getting a good GPU. If it can be AMD, too, that's a bonus, but Intel is just fine.

Also, if you need room in the budget for a monitor, then that first system would go over budget. With a 3070 or 3080, I'd recommend getting a 1440p high refresh rate monitor for the games you play. I recently got an M27Q 1440p 170Hz monitor and I've really liked it. My 2060 Super isn't anywhere near as powerful as those, yet it still does well for 1440p gaming. The upgrade from 1080p 60Hz was nice and noticeable.

Wanted to thank you for your input!  Although I went a little over budget I couldn't be happier with the speed, visuals and hardware of this setup!  

👍👍

20210821_161059.jpg

1 minute ago, Chesk said:

Wanted to thank you for your input!  Although I went a little over budget I couldn't be happier with the speed, visuals and hardware of this setup!  

👍👍

I'm glad it worked out for you! Hopefully this setup can last you another 10 years.

Just don't let Linus see that you didn't peel the plastic off the tempered glass. 🤣