PC dont show my HDD anymore?

kfinch

hey guys, I got a rep-built from redux after hearing about them though Linus and jay, had it almost a week and suddenly my 2tb hdd isn't showing up anymore, could there be something stupid I've done or do I need to contact redux? 

it don't show up in task manager, file explorer or device manager. 

7 hours ago, kfinch said:

hey guys, I got a rep-built from redux after hearing about them though Linus and jay, had it almost a week and suddenly my 2tb hdd isn't showing up anymore, could there be something stupid I've done or do I need to contact redux? 

it don't show up in task manager, file explorer or device manager. 

First thing I would do is check the SATA connections, then try to swap the cable and see if windows sees it then. I would shut it down each time when doing this, never tried to do while running (i'm a bit of a newb)

edit: If swapping the cables and checking the power connections etc doesn't work, it is possible it is dead, however I would try to find some other way of confirming this before assuming so. If you can't get it to show at all ever it might not hurt to try plugging the HD into an external enclosure do, after you have exhausted other options, like trying different SATA ports on the mobo, different cables, etc.

2 hours ago, DavidtheDuke said:

First thing I would do is check the SATA connections, then try to swap the cable and see if windows sees it then. I would shut it down each time when doing this, never tried to do while running (i'm a bit of a newb)

edit: If swapping the cables and checking the power connections etc doesn't work, it is possible it is dead, however I would try to find some other way of confirming this before assuming so. If you can't get it to show at all ever it might not hurt to try plugging the HD into an external enclosure do, after you have exhausted other options, like trying different SATA ports on the mobo, different cables, etc.

I had tried a different sata port to no avail, back in my computer engineering class I was always told to check your connections first lol. not sure what happened. 

unfortunately I don't have another sata cable to try.  

30 minutes ago, kfinch said:

unfortunately I don't have another sata cable to try.  

Ah well, that's the first thing I would do then. What aobut the power cable, is  it powering anything else? If not, maybe try swapping the sata power cable for another

2 hours ago, DavidtheDuke said:

it is powered, the disk is spinning. new sata cable didnt help. 

1 minute ago, kfinch said:

it is powered, the disk is spinning. new sata cable didnt help. 

I know this sounds basic, but I'm just making sure, you can't see it in Adminstrator tools right?

If you can't see it in that I would try to connect it to another computer at this point

13 minutes ago, DavidtheDuke said:

I know this sounds basic, but I'm just making sure, you can't see it in Adminstrator tools right?

If you can't see it in that I would try to connect it to another computer at this point

I cant find it in file explorer or device manager. and unfortunately I don't have another desk top to try it in. only laptops. 

i did try to use a Sata > Mini usb adapter I have from an old portable hdd but it still didnt bring up on either desktop or laptop. the adapter does work with the original WD scorpion black HDD

On 7/31/2021 at 6:57 PM, kfinch said:

I cant find it in file explorer or device manager. and unfortunately I don't have another desk top to try it in. only laptops. 

i did try to use a Sata > Mini usb adapter I have from an old portable hdd but it still didnt bring up on either desktop or laptop. the adapter does work with the original WD scorpion black HDD

well I dunno if you can use the cable to detect another hdd *and* hear it spinning it sounds like something in it is dead. Maybe there's more you can do but process of elimination using known good parts is about as good as someone like me anyway can recommend 

6 hours ago, K2K Tech Reviews said:

Try reconnecting the SATA and SATA power cables. 

ive swapped cables and power cables. ended up messaging redux. no response yet but it is the weekend. hoping theyll just end up shipping me a new hdd and it didnt have anything on it yet should just be a swap. 

14 hours ago, kfinch said:

ive swapped cables and power cables. ended up messaging redux. no response yet but it is the weekend. hoping theyll just end up shipping me a new hdd and it didnt have anything on it yet should just be a swap. 

Aw man, that's a bummer. I'm so sorry your HDD has failed.