Asus G751J better chipset cooling?

I modded my G751J to use NVMe M.2 drives, basically soldered an M.2 connector to the pads on the motherboard, then modded the BIOS so it sees it and can boot from it. Obviously goes through the chipset.

Here's where the problems start. As good of a cooling as this laptop has (keeps that 980 really cool), the chipset is...so badly placed i'm surprised it doesn't kill the keyboard. It's right underneath where the ribbon cable goes to the mobo connector, which is directly below the chipset.

10/10 design Asus...anyway, the chipset gets hot, around 85°C if not a bit more under load, with no proper way to remove the heat. That's way too high and i feel like it's the cause of the random crashes that sometimes happen. Happened before the M.2 mod, but less often.

Has anyone had any experience how i could add cooling to it or maybe somehow transfer the heat to another place so it can get absorbed by the keyboard a bit and dissipated that way?

The red area is where the ribbon cable goes to the connector, as you can see, it's directly over the chipset...
image.png.aa25a4cfcb7333a6138a93d604b27926.png

I was thinking of somehow redirecting the heat to the right, but not sure how, thought about using a simple long copper pad or heatpipe, but i don't know how i'd attach it and make it not move.

• 4 weeks later...

You find a solution yet?

I think a copper pad would work the best prolly. not sure for sure lol.

Thermal epoxy I believe would work to secure it in place, Not too sure on durability over the years tho