Training Database - table desing for admins/users and employees

LqDFx

I have been tasked with redesigning our training database at work. I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I make a separate table for those who can add, update, and remove entries. Everyone at work will have a training entry in the system, so If I have a separate table with just those with permission to do the entry work, I will be doubling some data as I am seeing it in my head.

I am wondering how others out there would go about this? One table with all employees and one users? Or just one table with a permissions field(s)? Just looking for suggestions, I know there are most likely many ways to tackle this.

I think database normalization is the keyword you are looking for, but I don't really understand your question.

If one person can have multiple permissions (one to many relationship) then you need one more table. I wouldn't create 3 tables to store basically the same things... that's a lot of work and not even flexible solution. If you need to add new roles later, single table is the better way.

Disclaimer: Not sure what are the security implications of this.

ಠ_ಠ

So I am a bit confused here.  Please remember we don't already know all the details about this project you do.

I think the problem is there are two different issues here:

1. The primary problem this database is being designed to solve
  2. How will it function with multiple users interacting with it, with some having different permissions

Just so we on the same page, ignore problem 2 for a moment.  Just pretend it's only going to be one person using this system.  What are you using this database for?  Yes, you said training, but can you just be a little more specific, and give a brief overview of what the user will be doing day to day?