Ethernet cable

WestTexan

I've been told that I should buy a full copper cat5e ethernet cable instead of a stranded one for using my 50/50 fiber internet. 

This is the only one I could find that isn't a poor quality cable and mentions that it is full copper, should it work fine?

https://m.takealot.com/hi-speed-20m-cat6-cable/PLID70625576

Edit : I think I'll buy this one instead

https://m.takealot.com/baobab-cat5e-networking-patch-cable-20m/PLID52348594

3 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

I've been told that I should buy a full copper cat5e ethernet cable instead of a stranded one for using my 50/50 fiber internet. 

Over what range? Whats your cat rating on your stranded cable (it should be printed on text of the cable)?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

This is the only one I could find that isn't a poor quality cable and mentions that it is full copper, should it work fine?

https://m.takealot.com/hi-speed-20m-cat6-cable/PLID70625576

Stranded/solid, doesn't really matter for most home applications.

I'd go with whatever the manual for the fiber router (where the fiber run plugs into) gives you, or what the ISP said. Stranded cabling can take more abuse than solid, but it depends on the application.  All but the crappiest 5e cable can handle gigabit.  5E UTP ethernet cabling.  Been used for years.  What you have will work too, but if it's solid, you don't get as much flexibility.

https://www.flukenetworks.com/blog/cabling-chronicles/101-series-stranded-vs-solid-patch-cords

Now if what's coming out of that box is something other than standard gigabit, might be something else you need.

Unless you want the signal to go to a nearby village literally any cable will do 50/50 with no issues. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

17 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Unless you want the signal to go to a nearby village literally any cable will do 50/50 with no issues. 

https://m.takealot.com/baobab-cat5e-networking-patch-cable-20m/PLID52348594

what about patch cable? Since I now know that stranded/solid doesn't matter I think I'll go with the one with best reviews which is this one.It says patch though and I am unsure if I can use this.

27 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Now if what's coming out of that box is something other than standard gigabit, might be something else you need.

31 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Over what range? Whats your cat rating on your stranded cable (it should be printed on text of the cable)?

What range? I don't know what that means,my speed? 50mbs/upload and 50mbs download. Right now I am using an LTE router with a cat5e cable.

Also,I won't be putting this cable through any walls or any material.

Just now, WestTexan said:

What range?

As in the cable length. If you gonna go wireless, honestly stranded or solid is gonna be fine in durability and speed. Keep using what you got if its already 5e.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

As in the cable length. If you gonna go wireless, honestly stranded or solid is gonna be fine in durability and speed. Keep using what you got if its already 5e.

Well,the cable I need must be 20 meters because the router will be in the kitchen.Right now I'm using a 1 meter cat5e cable since the router is next to my desktop PC

3 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

Well,the cable I need must be 20 meters because the router will be in the kitchen.Right now I'm using a 1 meter cat5e cable since the router is next to my desktop PC

Stranded vs Solid isn't the issue. You want to stay away from Copper Clad Aluminum cabling, but even at that distance it should be fine. Just beware that your Microwave will likely effect your WiFi performance as 2.4 Ghz is also used by the Magnetron in your Microwave, the only difference is your Microwave will output shitloads more power than the router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, WestTexan said:

Also consider humidity and grease, a kitchen might not be the best place to have it unless its very well ventilated.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7