New PC Problems

jefffreeeyy
Go to solution Solved by jefffreeeyy,

Hi,

I just finished building my new PC but it doesn't work properly. When I plug in the power cable the motherboard lights up and when I press the power button the fans (both case and CPU) start spinning for like 1 second and then stop. My RAM's RGB is on and the GPU fans is spinning but no display on the screen (I have tried different screens and cables). Does anyone know what do you?

I've made sure all the cables are plugged in. I tried removing 1 stick of RAM and booting up without the GPU in order to use the onboard graphics but the same problem remains, no display and no fans spinning. 

My specs:

ASUS PRIME Z490-P
Samsung 870 QVO 1TB
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB
Intel Core i5 11600K 3.9 GHz,12MB
be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140 mm
Noctua NH-U12S chromax. black
EVGA BQ 750W
be quiet! Pure Base 500 White TG

Hi,

I just finished building my new PC but it doesn't work properly. When I plug in the power cable the motherboard lights up and when I press the power button the fans (both case and CPU) start spinning for like 1 second and then stop. My RAM's RGB is on and the GPU fans is spinning but no display on the screen (I have tried different screens and cables). Does anyone know what do you?

I've made sure all the cables are plugged in. I tried removing 1 stick of RAM and booting up without the GPU in order to use the onboard graphics but the same problem remains, no display and no fans spinning. 

My specs:

ASUS PRIME Z490-P
Samsung 870 QVO 1TB
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB
Intel Core i5 11600K 3.9 GHz,12MB
be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140 mm
Noctua NH-U12S chromax. black
EVGA BQ 750W
be quiet! Pure Base 500 White TG

It sounds like there's either a PSU problem or a motherboard problem. When the fans stop spinning, do you hear an audible click? Have you done the paperclip test to make sure the PSU actually works? 

https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

That's how to do the paperclip test if you didn't know already. 

24 pin is connected... is the CPU power also connected?

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Ensure your PSU is plugged in properly. Check your connections and all that. If not there may be an issue with either your PSU or mobo but make sure you check everything.

Do you have the RAM in the correct slot(s)? Consult your mobo manual and do it exactly as it indicates. There's a particular slot of the four you need to use for just one stick and a particular two slots of the four for two. If you do anything else, it's not guaranteed to work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I can't see any mention of debug LEDs in the user manual 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, cacoe said:

24 pin is connected... is the CPU power also connected?

Yes, the CPU power is also connected. I tried unplugging it several times as well just to make sure it was connected all the way.

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It sounds like there's either a PSU problem or a motherboard problem. When the fans stop spinning, do you hear an audible click? Have you done the paperclip test to make sure the PSU actually works? 

https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

That's how to do the paperclip test if you didn't know already. 

Thank you for your reply!

the fans dont make any noise when stopping and my psu ”passed” the paper clip test so im assuming my motherboard is the issue?

4 hours ago, OddOod said:

I can't see any mention of debug LEDs in the user manual 

I was surprised by that as well, i’ve been looking at other peoples build with it and it light up orange like mine when plugging the power cable in and booting up.

5 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Do you have the RAM in the correct slot(s)? Consult your mobo manual and do it exactly as it indicates. There's a particular slot of the four you need to use for just one stick and a particular two slots of the four for two. If you do anything else, it's not guaranteed to work.

Thanks for your reply!

I did triple check so the correct slot was used and I tested it outside of the case as well both with and without gpu but same problem.

1 hour ago, jefffreeeyy said:

Thank you for your reply!

the fans dont make any noise when stopping and my psu ”passed” the paper clip test so im assuming my motherboard is the issue?

The noise I was thinking of would be from the PSU, not the fans. It would indicate if there was a short somewhere causing the system to not boot. However, it still sounds like it's some sort of motherboard issue. Have you tried reseating everything (CPU, GPU, RAM)? If it was a dead CPU, it would stay on. If it was a bad RAM stick, it would probably do the same. Some sort of short in the motherboard makes the most sense as for why it would be doing this, and it would probably be a good idea to start contacting ASUS support

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The noise I was thinking of would be from the PSU, not the fans. It would indicate if there was a short somewhere causing the system to not boot. However, it still sounds like it's some sort of motherboard issue. Have you tried reseating everything (CPU, GPU, RAM)? If it was a dead CPU, it would stay on. If it was a bad RAM stick, it would probably do the same. Some sort of short in the motherboard makes the most sense as for why it would be doing this, and it would probably be a good idea to start contacting ASUS support

Yes i reseated everything and made sure no pins were bent on cpu/motherboard and I didn’t hear any noise from the psu so i’m guessing it’s the motherboard as well. I’ll contact them and see what they say. 

Thanks for the help!