A question about gaming in Linux

Gunner15

Ok. I'm an old dude. How old? Ive still got games on CD's that I'd like to install. Now, here's the rub. In Windows its as simple as plunking a CD into a portable USB CD drive and install. Fine.

Here's my question.

I know the new business models means you're downloading your games from Steam, Valve, GOG (LOVE GOG!) etc. While I know NOTHING about gaming on Linux, yet, I just got a new laptop, and plan on installing Linux on my current work laptop after I retire it, and using it to learn and experiment with Linux. But, and here is my question: Can I install games to Linux of a CD drive, and how would one go about doing this? Nobody I can refrence has touched on this, as CD's are SOOO last century. However I have some good games, and I don't want to lose them, but I would like to distance myself from Windows as much as possible.

Thank You

Gunner

Linux gaming mostly relies on the excellent Proton framework created by Steam. It's a compatibility layer, based on Wine, that makes running games designed for Windows possible on Linux. It's always a mixed bag, with some games running flawlessly and others having major issues, but there's pretty good coverage overall.

However, very old games could be much more problematic, as sometimes, you'll even have issues running them on modern versions of Windows. If you have specific titles you want to check, it's probably possible to give you a better idea of what you can expect, but I doubt you'll be able to escape Windows completely.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Linux gaming mostly relies on the excellent Proton framework created by Steam. It's a compatibility layer, based on Wine, that makes running games designed for Windows possible on Linux. It's always a mixed bag, with some games running flawlessly and others having major issues, but there's pretty good coverage overall.

However, very old games could be much more problematic, as sometimes, you'll even have issues running them on modern versions of Windows. If you have specific titles you want to check, it's probably possible to give you a better idea of what you can expect, but I doubt you'll be able to escape Windows completely.

Thank you. I kind of figured as much, but I'm willing to take a run at it (I'll have to do it a bit later as I'm out on a job and my new machine is 4 hours away). Perhaps you can help clarify something for me though. Do you have to INSTALL your game of choice THROUGH these emulators (WINE, Proton etc) or do you just have to run the installers THEN tweak the game to run WITH the emulators? I am a bit confused about installing games on Linux, which is why I asked about installing off a CD as opposed to a downloaded file.

Thanks again

Gunner

Just now, Gunner15 said:

Thank you. I kind of figured as much, but I'm willing to take a run at it (I'll have to do it a bit later as I'm out on a job and my new machine is 4 hours away). Perhaps you can help clarify something for me though. Do you have to INSTALL your game of choice THROUGH these emulators (WINE, Proton etc) or do you just have to run the installers THEN tweak the game to run WITH the emulators? I am a bit confused about installing games on Linux, which is why I asked about installing off a CD as opposed to a downloaded file.

Thanks again

Gunner

You'd have to install it with Wine. The installer itself will not run on Linux without the help of something like Wine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

You'd have to install it with Wine. The installer itself will not run on Linux without the help of something like Wine.

Thank you. I wasn't sure but I kind of thought so. I had my system set up to dual boot, and had Neverwinter Nights 2 installed on the windows side. While I got it RUNNING on wine, I had no graphics resolution control and a number of other odd and ends didn't work right. I was just experimenting and I considered it a major victory just to get it running AT ALL, so I wasn't DISAPPOINTED, but I knew something wasn't right...........just didn't know what.

As you can probably tell, what I know about Linux you can put in a shotglass ;D

Gunner

48 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Ok. I'm an old dude. How old? Ive still got games on CD's that I'd like to install. Now, here's the rub. In Windows its as simple as plunking a CD into a portable USB CD drive and install. Fine.

*looks at my 3.5" floppy disks for Wolfenstien 3d* Cries in old dude

4 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

*looks at my 3.5" floppy disks for Wolfenstien 3d* Cries in old dude

Buys him a cold beer in 5 1/4 floppy. Serves it with a copy of Blue Max for the C64 on cassette tape ;D

Gunner

14 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Thank you. I wasn't sure but I kind of thought so. I had my system set up to dual boot, and had Neverwinter Nights 2 installed on the windows side. While I got it RUNNING on wine, I had no graphics resolution control and a number of other odd and ends didn't work right. I was just experimenting and I considered it a major victory just to get it running AT ALL, so I wasn't DISAPPOINTED, but I knew something wasn't right...........just didn't know what.

Gunner

I have some experience running Linux so let me break it down for you

yes you need WINE to run the installer-after it’s installed you can check proton.db to see how compatible the game is with proton

proton is the ideal method to run them for simplicity’s sake

failing that, you can check compatibility on WINE website to see if a certain revision of WINE works best

Lutris is going to be your launcher of choice if you aren’t using proton

HMU with questions

20 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Gunner

@Gunner15

Just wanted to ask, how old are you ? 🙂

Neveriwnter Nights 2 was one of the games i also enjoyed a lot back in the day, even the first Neverwinter also. My favorite one probably was Bioware's KOTOR though. 🙂

2 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

I have some experience running Linux so let me break it down for you

yes you need WINE to run the installer-after it’s installed you can check proton.db to see how compatible the game is with proton

proton is the ideal method to run them for simplicity’s sake

failing that, you can check compatibility on WINE website to see if a certain revision of WINE works best

Lutris is going to be your launcher of choice if you aren’t using proton

HMU with questions

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've been trying to reference podcasts, the web, or anything like that for info. While I got the WHAT (YEAH XXX RUNS GREAT IT'S BETTER THAN WINDOWS!) there wasn't ANYTHING out there about WHY AND HOW you actually get it done. As I said before what I know about Linux you can put in a shotglass, but I'd LOVE to figure it out.

If you don't mind, I"d like to get back to you with this. I'm out on a job about 4 hours away from home and have yet to go and get my new system. However when I get all my work stuff swapped over I'd like to get in contact with you and discuss this further, if thats ok

Gunner

3 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@Gunner15

Just wanted to ask, how old are you ? 🙂

Neveriwnter Nights 2 was one of the games i also enjoyed a lot back in the day, even the first Neverwinter also. My favorite one probably was Bioware's KOTOR though. 🙂

55 years old. Cut my teeth on Commodore Vic20's and C-64s (yeah I was the cool nerd on the block. I had the option 5 1/4 floppy after the cassette drive dropped dead ;D)

Gunner

2 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've been trying to reference podcasts, the web, or anything like that for info. While I got the WHAT (YEAH XXX RUNS GREAT IT'S BETTER THAN WINDOWS!) there wasn't ANYTHING out there about WHY AND HOW you actually get it done. As I said before what I know about Linux you can put in a shotglass, but I'd LOVE to figure it out.

If you don't mind, I"d like to get back to you with this. I'm out on a job about 4 hours away from home and have yet to go and get my new system. However when I get all my work stuff swapped over I'd like to get in contact with you and discuss this further, if thats ok

Gunner

Absolutely man-It’s been a while since I last used Linux(not my choice-I prefer Linux) but I’d be happy to help troubleshoot stuff with you

6 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Gunner

Oh, one trick I learned, since many games in windows use the same APIs the tricks that work to fix an issue in one game work in others too that have the same issues(audio/video/etc) so don’t give up if your game doesn’t run flawlessly out of the box

23 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Buys him a cold beer in 5 1/4 floppy. Serves it with a copy of Blue Max for the C64 on cassette tape ;D

Gunner

OK, so by your other post I am a bit younger than you but my first computer was a Ti-994a (with a cassette drive) so yeah, I can relate.

7 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

Oh, one trick I learned, since many games in windows use the same APIs the tricks that work to fix an issue in one game work in others too that have the same issues(audio/video/etc) so don’t give up if your game doesn’t run flawlessly out of the box

Copy that. Might PM you later when I get both systems moved and organized. Right now I'm kind of hamstrung by the fast that I'm working 250 mile from home 😉

Gunner

1 minute ago, Ramrod126 said:

OK, so by your other post I am a bit younger than you but my first computer was a Ti-994a (with a cassette drive) so yeah, I can relate.

Hey us old guys have to stick together. My first game on floppy was Ultima III: Quest Of The Avatar

Gunner

9 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Hey us old guys have to stick together. My first game on floppy was Ultima III: Quest Of The Avatar

Gunner

And i thought i was an old gamer cuz i caught DOOM 1993 and Need For Speed 2 in 1997. 🤣

9 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Gunner

I think my very first non cartridge game actually was wolfenstien.

Just now, Mikey89 said:

And i thought i was an old gamer cuz i caught DOOM 1993 and Need For Speed 2 in 1997. 🤣

Slow down there whipersnapper....LMAO.

1 minute ago, Mikey89 said:

BOUGHT Doom? I downloaded the FREE version ;D

Gunner

Just now, Gunner15 said:

Gunner

Copy protection at its finest. "Please enter word 7 from paragraph 2 on page 8"

1 minute ago, Ramrod126 said:

I think my very first non cartridge game actually was wolfenstien.

My first non cartrige game was Blue Max for the C-64 on cassette. WHEN I could get it to load is was a really cool 3D side scroller.

WHEN I could get it to load.

Gunner

2 minutes ago, Gunner15 said:

Gunner

BOUGHT ? Hell nah... i just had it among with other old games on a CD from a friend. 🤣

Just now, Ramrod126 said:

Copy protection at its finest. "Please enter word 7 from paragraph 2 on page 8"

Never was that into it. Of COURSE, I was the "This FPS thing will never catch on" guy ;D

Gunner

Just now, Gunner15 said:

My first non cartrige game was Blue Max for the C-64 on cassette. WHEN I could get it to load is was a really cool 3D side scroller.

WHEN I could get it to load.

Gunner

Oh, if you want to count cassette I had some really janky flight "sim" on the Ti99