Need some help for a friend, regarding ASUS zenbook pro 15 ux550gex

droidman85

So a friend of mine got this laptop and a few months later problems started, it has an i9, heats too much and he has no idea what to do, went back to the store, warranty is over.

Asus says they dont know what to do and that it is "normal for an i9 to run at 99 degrees c" so they basically sent him back home pissed with a very expensive laptop.

He does not want to sell the laptop and trick a person to buy a broken pc, but it is impossible to use it, bios is locked, the fan curve cannot be modified and he does not even know if he can downclock it a bit.

Opened with a big fan pointing to the opened heat pipes the cp works properly and the temperatures go down to normal values but that is not a laptop anymore, it is a frankenstein solution for something asus is not dealing with. They just sold overpowered laptops without warning people and as soon warranty ends the internet is full of people complaining about them stopping to work or just burning them and running very slow.

Anyone knows a decent solution for my friend? like a custom heatpipe solution for this model or how to convert it to any case making it a destkop ? as long he is properly cooled he works very well.

Also it looks like it was designed so that fans only start when the cpu reaches 90º c

22 minutes ago, droidman85 said:

So a friend of mine got this laptop and a few months later problems started, it has an i9, heats too much and he has no idea what to do, went back to the store, warranty is over.

Asus says they dont know what to do and that it is "normal for an i9 to run at 99 degrees c" so they basically sent him back home pissed with a very expensive laptop.

He does not want to sell the laptop and trick a person to buy a broken pc, but it is impossible to use it, bios is locked, the fan curve cannot be modified and he does not even know if he can downclock it a bit.

Opened with a big fan pointing to the opened heat pipes the cp works properly and the temperatures go down to normal values but that is not a laptop anymore, it is a frankenstein solution for something asus is not dealing with. They just sold overpowered laptops without warning people and as soon warranty ends the internet is full of people complaining about them stopping to work or just burning them and running very slow.

Anyone knows a decent solution for my friend? like a custom heatpipe solution for this model or how to convert it to any case making it a destkop ? as long he is properly cooled he works very well.

Also it looks like it was designed so that fans only start when the cpu reaches 90º c

Well yeah your friends have a beast of cpu and having cooling system like this

2135859595_images(88).jpeg.7c61033f9c8e58feb3a770f6eafea10e.jpeg

The only solution that I can think of without modifying anything is to use intel xtu (if possible) and turn down the TDP in a way that it's "lower" the cpu temps but also not bring any significant performance hit...

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

16 minutes ago, Benji said:

I'm sorry to be telling you this, but that is just the way that it is. Asus is not to blame and nothing can be done about it, not to mention that it really isn't a new problem.

Well if i sell you a car with a V12 that can only go up to 30mph and stops because it overheats and the brand tells you it is fine... You would be at least having a bad day, but thank you, I'm passing him this information, when you put an i9 with a cooler like that brands are basicly mocking people, Specially people that know nothing about computers and think bigger is better (it was the case), he paid a lot more for something that never worked at 100%. I have no idea how this is legal.

If i knew he would be buying an i9 on such a slim laptop i would instantly tell him to get a normal laptop or a desktop instead. I have a simpler cheaper zenbook with an i5 and it just works properly. that i9 has no breathing space at all i think that asus has some blame here, this is pure false advertising, because you have the muscle inside but no way to cool it so it even works worse than a cheaper one (i saw some LTT videos specifically about this). This is always a bad deal for the customer so... brands are to blame for sure. 

When he told me problems came after some months i forgot to mention that this is true, he did not use the laptop very often and when he wanted to use it he complained about the temperatures to the store where he bought it and when he opened the laptop to check if something was wrong since there were some very weird marks on the copper tubes so he thought the store sold him a refubished laptop (no idea if this is possible). They also said to him that there is some weird fan curve problem and asus does not care since warranty is over. 

image.png.986bd7325ab81c432a4f6f60e9043b9e.png

The picture is not very good but it was what he sent me so... Sorry but yes in a way this is very sad. if it was for me i would try to remove it from the case and make a weird desktop out of it just for spite 😃 I love asus products and hate wathing my friends falling for this.

And thanks again, the thread was in fact me hoping for some weird aftermarket solution so that i could help him save the pc.

ok a small update here, nothing fancy but my friend managed to do something really simple he did not reinvented the wheel but it just worked, he disabled the GPU

image.thumb.png.90edf0c9f2d456d4e1de48a35122764d.png

Worked like a charm, now the laptop works. so those tiny heatpipes could not handle the gpu+cpu so disabling the gpu for normal desktop use made the job a lot easier for the heatpipes to dissipate all that heat, he is not a gamer and he just needs to work so now he can.

This is so simple i actually feel a bit dumb posting it here but i'm almost sure this can help someone else.