Intel core i7 6700k and 16GB DDR4 (1066Mhz) overclocking...

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,

You can OC the CPU and it might help with some games when played at lower resolutions and low graphics settings with that graphics card.

I would guess a good 6th gen result would be around 4.6ghz.

Will depend on your cooler as well; although I wouldn't spend more money on it.

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have the processor and memory as in the title with a Z170 Gaming K3 Gigabyte motherboard.

I'm just wondering, what are the IDEAL overclocking measures I could get to? I know some people say its down to the individual component, but I'm not an expert in overclocking so would like to know what you guys/girls think 🙂

I have a GTX 770 graphics card, I don't know if that makes a difference but that's 2GB, but I don't want to overclock the graphics card... Because I think it'll just be angry with me if I do that ^^;

I think this place is turning into my favourite "Go To" place for everything tech. You all have knowledge that I couldn't hope to have ^^;

All the best and thanks in advance for answering my question,

You can OC the CPU and it might help with some games when played at lower resolutions and low graphics settings with that graphics card.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I have a silicon lottery winning 6700K and that does 4,7 @ 1.3. About equal to a 7700K in CB R23.

Your chip (most likely) isn't that good.

But 4.5 GHz @ 1.35 volts provided you have adequate cooling (temps under 80c, preferably under 70c) should be doable. 

Your RAM can most likely do 2400 MHz at stock timings with a little extra voltage but RAM OCing is extremely fiddly. Not really recommended unless you want to chase stability for hours upon hours. 

16 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning on getting a better cooler for the CPU, it has a pretty big cooler on it, but I will be adding an AIO to it soon enough.

Also, Mister Woof - I love the profile pic! Haha. I'm also a fan of Star Trek 😄

16 minutes ago, alexander.o said:

I have a silicon lottery winning 6700K and that does 4,7 @ 1.3. About equal to a 7700K in CB R23.

Your chip (most likely) isn't that good.

But 4.5 GHz @ 1.35 volts provided you have adequate cooling (temps under 80c, preferably under 70c) should be doable. 

Your RAM can most likely do 2400 MHz at stock timings with a little extra voltage but RAM OCing is extremely fiddly. Not really recommended unless you want to chase stability for hours upon hours. 

I have no doubt your "silicon lottery winning" chip is a LOT better than mine 🙂 But yeah, I'll see what I can do with the BIOS.

Thanks for the help you two. I really do appreciate it :3