How should I configure/clock my memory/cas?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Since they're Hynix sticks, they probably won't be able to go that far - Hynix dies are known to be picky with Ryzen and not work super well. I'm going to take a wild guess and say 2933 C16 or so but I've never personally worked with Hynix and Zen 3. @ShrimpBrime might though - he knows a lot about overclocking and should know the answers to this.

For now, though, why not just see how far it can go? Stay with even CAS latencies though as Ryzen doesn't like odd CAS latencies and if geardown mode is enabled it will round up to an even number if you set it to an odd number (setting it to C15 = C16, setting it to C17 = C18, etc.)

Thanks for the mention, my thoughts below...

1 hour ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I just switched from my 8600k to an all new setup with a 5800x

My ram is Corsair Vengence, CPU-Z shows: SK Hynix CMK16GX4M2A2400C14

I have two sets of 2x8gb models. They are factory clocked at 2133 mhz I believe, with cas 14. On my intel setup, I set the cas to 15 and was able to clock them at 3200mhz and i'd been using it like that with 100% stability for years.

Now that i'm re-using this memory with my AMD setup, and am4 is all new to me, what do you guys suggest I do to get the optimal performance?

You want to try and set them up similar to what you had in the Intel set up. 

But with this setup the memory controller is CPU SOC voltage. For low speeds like 3200mhz, you won't need to increase it very much.

Hynix can be hit or miss. Since the 5800x memory controller supports 3200mhz, you might not have too many issues.

Timings for most Ryzen platforms are generally an even numbered timing set like 14-14-14-14-34 3200mhz 1.40v or 16-16-16-16-36 3600mhz 1.35v are pretty ideal for performance. 

Bandwidth comes from frequency, and latency comes from timings and to increase the performance it would be accompanied by cpu overclocking either manually or PBO boosted.

If you are manually overclocking a odd number cas latency, in the timings menu, disable gear down mode and the board will stop pushing to an even number cas while on auto/enabled.

Other than that, punch in some numbers + trial and error. All else fails you, can recommend a nice set of 3600mhz memory you can upgrade to that should be pretty trouble free.

GL

I have two sets of 2x8gb models. They are factory clocked at 2133 mhz I believe, with cas 14. On my intel setup, I set the cas to 15 and was able to clock them at 3200mhz and i'd been using it like that with 100% stability for years.

Now that i'm re-using this memory with my AMD setup, and am4 is all new to me, what do you guys suggest I do to get the optimal performance?

Computers r fun

Which CPU do you have? The IMC strength on Ryzen chips varies wildly depending on the chip you have, going from not-super-great on Zen 1 to quite-good with Zen 3.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Which CPU do you have? The IMC strength on Ryzen chips varies wildly depending on the chip you have, going from not-super-great on Zen 1 to quite-good with Zen 3.

5800x

Computers r fun

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

5800x

Since they're Hynix sticks, they probably won't be able to go that far - Hynix dies are known to be picky with Ryzen and not work super well. I'm going to take a wild guess and say 2933 C16 or so but I've never personally worked with Hynix and Zen 3. @ShrimpBrime might though - he knows a lot about overclocking and should know the answers to this.

For now, though, why not just see how far it can go? Stay with even CAS latencies though as Ryzen doesn't like odd CAS latencies and if geardown mode is enabled it will round up to an even number if you set it to an odd number (setting it to C15 = C16, setting it to C17 = C18, etc.)

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Thank you! Yeah, I honestly couldn't tell you why I even picked this memory...i've had it for years. I'm open to suggestions from sombody who knows more on what to buy, but i'f i'm going to get a ram upgrade i'd want more than the 32gb I have now and that's going to be expensive. I'd like to see how far I can get with this first.

Honestly, I don't know anything about ram or what CAS impact is vs memory clock. Thank you for the tips though, i'll try playing with it! I know was I able to get these to 3200 mhz on my intel system with cas 15...so maybe I got a great bin and on 16 I can push them even farther.

Computers r fun

For stability testing, I would give this thread a read and use these tools to test. RAM stability testing is tedious..... 

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Thanks for the mention, my thoughts below...

1 hour ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

You want to try and set them up similar to what you had in the Intel set up. 

But with this setup the memory controller is CPU SOC voltage. For low speeds like 3200mhz, you won't need to increase it very much.

Hynix can be hit or miss. Since the 5800x memory controller supports 3200mhz, you might not have too many issues.

Timings for most Ryzen platforms are generally an even numbered timing set like 14-14-14-14-34 3200mhz 1.40v or 16-16-16-16-36 3600mhz 1.35v are pretty ideal for performance. 

Bandwidth comes from frequency, and latency comes from timings and to increase the performance it would be accompanied by cpu overclocking either manually or PBO boosted.

If you are manually overclocking a odd number cas latency, in the timings menu, disable gear down mode and the board will stop pushing to an even number cas while on auto/enabled.

Other than that, punch in some numbers + trial and error. All else fails you, can recommend a nice set of 3600mhz memory you can upgrade to that should be pretty trouble free.

GL

@ShrimpBrimeWhat ram would you recommend me? I would need more than 32gb total and I only have 4 slots. Thank you so much for you're time and detailed reply! I'm going to see what I can do.

Computers r fun