NIC Teaming 2021?? Windows 10 or 11

KingOfSoldiers

Does anyone know a work around for Windows 10 for NIC teaming or if Windows 11 currently allows NIC teaming would love to run multi gigabit local networking, i have checked previous Topics but they are all abit old and with recent windows 10 updates and the windows 11 release i'm curious to see if anyone has checked any of these out.

Many thanks in advance peeps.

34 minutes ago, KingOfSoldiers said:

Does anyone know a work around for Windows 10 for NIC teaming or if Windows 11 currently allows NIC teaming would love to run multi gigabit local networking, i have checked previous Topics but they are all abit old and with recent windows 10 updates and the windows 11 release i'm curious to see if anyone has checked any of these out.

Many thanks in advance peeps.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005667/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Most Intel Ethernet adapters support Teaming, but it has to be an Intel NIC. More to the point, it has to be Intel NIC's on both sides. It's also important to have switching equipment to do so.

eg PC with 2 GigE Intel I217's on one end, and one with I217's on the other end, has to be connected to two distinct switches or one 10GigE switch that has the switch capacity to use teaming (but no redundancy.)

Diagram of Switch Fault Tolerance (SFT) Team with Spanning Tree Protocol

There may also be broadcom adapters that do this. Don't expect it from cheapy Realtek's though.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005667/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Most Intel Ethernet adapters support Teaming, but it has to be an Intel NIC. More to the point, it has to be Intel NIC's on both sides. It's also important to have switching equipment to do so.

eg PC with 2 GigE Intel I217's on one end, and one with I217's on the other end, has to be connected to two distinct switches or one 10GigE switch that has the switch capacity to use teaming (but no redundancy.)

Diagram of Switch Fault Tolerance (SFT) Team with Spanning Tree Protocol

There may also be broadcom adapters that do this. Don't expect it from cheapy Realtek's though.

I have all said equipment available to me the issue is that Microsoft disabled it on windows 10 a while ago and unless your running a windows server edition you cant enable it

11 hours ago, KingOfSoldiers said:

I have all said equipment available to me the issue is that Microsoft disabled it on windows 10 a while ago and unless your running a windows server edition you cant enable it

Then you have to rely on the network driver to do it and not Microsoft.

PS C:\Windows\system32> new-NetLBFOTeam 10G-Team "10G-1","10G-2"
new-NetLBFOTeam : The LBFO feature is not currently enabled, or LBFO is not supported on this SKU.
At line:1 char:1
+ new-NetLBFOTeam 10G-Team "10G-1","10G-2"
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_NetLbfoTeam:root/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetLbfoTeam) [New-NetLbfoTeam],
   CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1,New-NetLbfoTeam

You can use Intel Proset if you have all Intel hardware. But otherwise you're looking at basically yanking the LBFO files from Server and putting it into Windows 10 Home/Pro, which there are websites detailing how to do so if you really want to go down that route.

• 2 months later...

Yeah no chance in Windows 11 ! 

I'm on W11, I wanted to make a NIC Teaming for a workaround on something, since Microsoft locked the feature on Windows Server, only thing left was the Intel solution, surprise, Intel announced that they will drop the support for VLAN and NIC Teaming on Windows 11. So, if you want Teaming, stay on W10 and use Intel PROSet (can work on any cards). Or buy a managed switch to do the same work.

Edit : You can always do teaming, but you will rely on 3rd party software here some project :

Damn, why did Intel decide to drop NIC Teaming.  I was hoping this get fixed in an upcoming Win11 update.

Guess I'm uninstall Intel ProSet software.

• 3 months later...

So are there any updates on this yet?  I know Intel isn't going to cave, and I know MS isn't going to cave.  This is keeping me from upgrading to Windows 11 now.  I'd be more than willing to buy some specific 3rd party NIC or something that does still have drivers that take over the bonding the way PROSet does in Win 10.

Absolutely ridiculous if there is 100% absolutely no way to do it, especially on "Pro".

• 1 year later...

Dear @ll,

had the same issue here on Windows 11 - just bought my new Machine and wanted to LCAP a Dual Intel Network Card like i just configured it on my Server 2022 (Hyper-V) and Unifi Switch to have 2 Gbit/s inplace. At the moment i'm not at this point to invest $$$€€€ to 10G Network and also SSD File Server 🙂

I was working with the follwoing howto:

https://codeinsecurity.wordpress.com/2020/05/27/re-enabling-nic-teaming-lbfo-in-windows-10-desktop-skus-even-after-microsoft-removed-it/

https://github.com/gsuberland/lbfo_win10

it also worked out for WIN 11 in Combination with the server 2022 install.wim

the trick was to follow the article 1:1 and also to install the driver in Windows Recovery Mode as it reconizes an invalid driver signature in the *.inf file.

Important - the signature of the *.sys file ist dependend on the *.cat file of your Windows Server Image.

the automated Kernel Service startup has to be configured here:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MsLbfoProvider\Start=2

hope this will help you guys 🙂

daniel.

• 2 weeks later...

You can still use in both Windows 10 and Windows 11 the below:

New-NetSwitchTeam -Name "NameOfTeam" -TeamMembers "NameOfAdapter1", ...

Or just issue the New-NetSwitchTeam command and it will prompt you for the Team name, press enter, then it will prompt for the name of each NIC name as displayed in Control Panel > Network and Shring Center > Change Adapter Settings

I tend to name each NIC something small and with no spaces (eg: NIC1, NIC2, etc).

Hopefully this helps!

image.thumb.png.4ae6f50ef57c43ec6a405ef241ec8a84.png

Edited by dflorey
More information here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/netswitchteam/new-netswitchteam?view=windowsserver2022-ps