Laggy UI in VMs (Virtual Box and VMWare)

Arika

I wanted to play around with some VMs on my PC, however i can't seem to figure out how to make everything run smoothly.

I tried a few different Linux Distros (pop OS, Manjaro, Mint and Ubuntu) and the mouse the perfectly smooth, but moving any windows around or scrolling through webpages is so very jittery. I've never really used any VM software before now, so i'm not sure if this is normal behavior or just some setting i've got wrong somewhere.

Each time i gave the VM 2 cores (tested with 3 and 4 cores as well) and 8GB of ram to work with and installed the guest tools in both programs

It does appear to only be the UI as opening a video works perfectly normally.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I wanted to play around with some VMs on my PC, however i can't seem to figure out how to make everything run smoothly.

I tried a few different Linux Distros (pop OS, Manjaro, Mint and Ubuntu) and the mouse the perfectly smooth, but moving any windows around or scrolling through webpages is so very jittery. I've never really used any VM software before now, so i'm not sure if this is normal behavior or just some setting i've got wrong somewhere.

Each time i gave the VM 2 cores (tested with 3 and 4 cores as well) and 8GB of ram to work with and installed the gust tools in both programs

It does appear to only be the UI as opening a video works perfectly normally.

When you are running a Hosted VM you have Overhead from the operating system and that's why it's so slow and you also lose Hardware acceleration on UI elements. If you are willing to do some serious work in a Virtual machine then a Bare metal hypervisor would make more sense.

1 hour ago, WickedThunder86 said:

you also lose Hardware acceleration on UI elements.

that's what i figured. unfortunate.

Still might play around with it a bit then dual boot bare metal on my laptop.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you install the guest tools? What virtual gpu settings are you using?

sure did.

VMware everything from 128mb to 4gb of VRAM applied with 3d acceleration on

Virtual box only lets you go up to 128mb or force 256 with the guest tools

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒