Unable to Extend Volume after System Image Restored

dual290x
Go to solution Solved by Murasaki,

I think its not letting you because they're not in the right order. Unallocated space needs to be adjacent to the target volume you want to extend (like right after it with no other paritions in the way). In your case its before it and in between so thats.. far from ideal.. Not sure if creating extra partitions or swapping letters will align them better... need to be doing that myself to figure it out. Windows' disk managment tools have limitations and I see EaseUS' parition manager didn't do the job for you... then maybe try a live usb of GParted. It supports managing Windows volumes and might be more flexible.

Of course I would like to mention to have backups on hand before performing such operations.

I am not sure if this belongs here, but I used an imaging tool to move my system to a smaller drive and had to delete two volumes that were used for booting of the new installation. When I moved the system image I had to delete the newer booting volumes and my system booted. Now I can not extend my C drive to take over those two smaller volumes (it is grayed out). Any idea on what I can/should do? 3rd party tools are not working, fyi.image.thumb.png.9168c5b58aad14c0cd0a3c2259181b35.png

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

What do you mean by "Cannot extend the volume"? Do you encounter an error? Or is the option "Extend Volume" grayed out?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

11 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

What do you mean by "Cannot extend the volume"? Do you encounter an error? Or is the option "Extend Volume" grayed out?

Sorry for the lack of information. It is greyed out.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

I'm no expert in this matter but are the partitions formatted? If they aren't, format them to NTFS and try again.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

45 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

I'm no expert in this matter but are the partitions formatted? If they aren't, format them to NTFS and try again.

I have tried that, it did not work. 

ORLY?

I think its not letting you because they're not in the right order. Unallocated space needs to be adjacent to the target volume you want to extend (like right after it with no other paritions in the way). In your case its before it and in between so thats.. far from ideal.. Not sure if creating extra partitions or swapping letters will align them better... need to be doing that myself to figure it out. Windows' disk managment tools have limitations and I see EaseUS' parition manager didn't do the job for you... then maybe try a live usb of GParted. It supports managing Windows volumes and might be more flexible.

Of course I would like to mention to have backups on hand before performing such operations.

I believe Windows only let's you extend partitions to the right due to the way stuff is stored, so it's not possible for those couple hundred megs on the left to join C without recreating everything from scratch.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

9 hours ago, Murasaki said:

GParted did the trick. I had to CHKDSK the C Volume before I could complete the process but I got it done. Thanks for the suggestions.

4 hours ago, tikker said:

I believe Windows only let's you extend partitions to the right due to the way stuff is stored, so it's not possible for those couple hundred megs on the left to join C without recreating everything from scratch.

You were correct. GParted allowed me to move everything when nothing else would.

10 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

@Murasaki had the solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

ORLY?