Which basic NAS should I use as a cloud?

I am wanting to have a drive at home that I can stream media and access saved school files from outside my home. I really don't want to pay a monthly fee for a cloud server like googledrive or one drive. I have seen WD my cloud ex2 ultra and then synology. Are there others? Looking for something simple. Thanks a ton!

if you want something simple you probably wanna use Synology but be aware depending on how much storage you are looking for it may still be cheaper to take a could storage provider instead.

12 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

if you want something simple you probably wanna use Synology but be aware depending on how much storage you are looking for it may still be cheaper to take a could storage provider instead.

Thanks for the fast reply. I don't mind paying a little more up front if it means no monthly fee. So I am not too familiar with NAS storage. Is it possible to have a network folder where I can fave files to it that is linked to the NAS? Or is it only accessible through a web interface?

54 minutes ago, Philip Pomeroy said:

Thanks for the fast reply. I don't mind paying a little more up front if it means no monthly fee. So I am not too familiar with NAS storage. Is it possible to have a network folder where I can fave files to it that is linked to the NAS? Or is it only accessible through a web interface?

yea you can have a shared folder on your pc that will store the files on the nas

How much storage do you need?

ALso make sure your have backup of the nas incase something happens to it.

22 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea you can have a shared folder on your pc that will store the files on the nas

How much storage do you need?

ALso make sure your have backup of the nas incase something happens to it.

I am looking to have 2 to 4 TB so I was planning on getting a NAS with two 4TB drives and running them in RAID 1. Does that sound reasonable?

1 minute ago, Philip Pomeroy said:

I am looking to have 2 to 4 TB so I was planning on getting a NAS with two 4TB drives and running them in RAID 1. Does that sound reasonable?

Id go synology then, something like a ds220 would work well here. Id probably get 8tb drives as there not much more, give you room to grow and for things like snapshots.