Looking for new 1440p monitor; gaming+graphical work

Vishapin

I'm looking to replace my Samsung C27H711 with something pushing more HZ.
My requirments:
- min. 1440p, don't think I would find 4K
- 144+Hz; <2ms response
- good color accuraccy and coverage. My current one isn't the best but next one should be better not worse
- vesa mount
- price: i work with different currency so it's flexible, around 700$? Odyssey g7 is my top price in my currency. But similarly priced here iiyama GB3461, on amazon is 500$

things that are problematic:
- I would like good contrast and brightness, I now have 3000:1 static contrast and 300nit brightness and I wouldn't like to downgrade it. Thing is, that specs would probably require VA and I just don't know if its good. Is smudging gonna be much worse? I now have VA panel so I might be used to it, but i also only have 75Hz.... Would you advise an IPS?
- I was wondering whether it should be ultrawide or not. Are any users here willing to share? Did you get much from it? Do you loose? I know many yt videos leave black marks on sides. On another hand movies are full frame as many games

- curvature, I now have 1800R and I would prefer to ditch it, unless it's an ultrawide. 1000R is most likely out of the question (although odyssey g7 seems to be best speced)
- seeing some posts here i got much less interested in HDR, but still having hdr 600 certificate would be a plus i think? Is it possible to turn on hdr only in games whichout fighting with Windows?

my current pretenders:
Samsung odyssey g7
AOC Porsche design PD27
iiyama G-Master GB3461
AOC CU34G2X
LG 27GL850

I have RTX 3080 to run it.

I've had the MSI Optix MAG27CQ for a few months now and have been pretty happy with it so far. It seems to fit your requirements and has worked well for me. It's a VA so it's not the best for color accuracy but if you're using VA now then you'll probably be fine. I use it for every game I play and they all look amazing, haven't had any problems with it. For the price (on sale right now for $260) it's an amazing monitor that fits well into your budget and seems to meet all of your standards. It's 1440p 144Hz though so you may be able to fit something with better specs into your budget if you look hard enough. I left the Newegg link below, sale ends in a few hours so if you're going to buy it you should do it quick.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824475009?item=N82E16824475009&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-_-gaming monitors-_-msi-_-24475009&source=region 

Edit: just reread and saw that you were asking about IPS panels, I have a 1080p IPS as a second monitor and often find myself naturally moving pictures and videos over to that monitor because it looks significantly better. While VA works just fine, if you can get yourself a good IPS, go for that one (don't downgrade other specs too much, though; VA is perfectly fine for almost everything).

30 minutes ago, Hygel said:

I've had the MSI Optix MAG27CQ for a few months now

Thanks for answering!
Your proposition is underbudget but also underspec sadly. For the same money I can get LG 27GL850:
- it's also 1ms but according to displayspecifications.com msi has 12ms average (while i only saw high as 5ms before)
- it has way better coverage for color
- 350 up to 400nits instead of 250
- display port 1.4 instead of 1.2
- no curvature

Is there maybe some database for delta E and color space coverage for monitors? I was using list from one youtuber and diplay spec but they are often lacking, and for that yt's list it only has a few models. And it's quite important as the best MSI model he tested had delta e of almost 4

9 minutes ago, Vishapin said:

Thanks for answering!
Your proposition is underbudget but also underspec sadly. For the same money I can get LG 27GL850:
- it's also 1ms but according to displayspecifications.com msi has 12ms average (while i only saw high as 5ms before)
- it has way better coverage for color
- 350 up to 400nits instead of 250
- display port 1.4 instead of 1.2
- no curvature

Is there maybe some database for delta E and color space coverage for monitors? I was using list from one youtuber and diplay spec but they are often lacking, and for that yt's list it only has a few models. And it's quite important as the best MSI model he tested had delta e of almost 4

Sorry I couldn't help, I'm not too into monitor specs so I was just looking for basic specs when I bought mine, but you seem to know a lot more than I do.

Also, as for the database, whenever I'm looking for a new tech product, tomshardware.com is usually one of the first places I look (not sure if that's the youtuber you were referencing), they have pretty in-depth and well formed articles about tons of products, laying out their tests and results in a way that gives you all of the information while still being relatively easy to read. I found a few monitor articles with dE and color space coverage on there (all of the ones that I found have it) so if you haven't looked there yet I would recommend that you check it out. It's not laid out as a more formal database would be so you'll have to do a bit of hunting for the information that you're looking for but every article that I've seen from them has had more than enough information to help me understand what I'm looking for.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:35 PM, Hygel said:

Also, as for the database, whenever I'm looking for a new tech product, tomshardware.com is usually one of the first places I look

THANK YOU

they have excellent reviews with maaany useful data and even calibration guides! That is what i needed

I currently own AOC CU34G2X for about a year now, which is VA 1440p ultrawide. I'll leave out some thoughts:

Having UW is usually a nice bonus for most games, especially for me who is more into casual adventure genre. It add some extra immersion along with 1500R curve, although I never seen G7's 1000R whether it would be too much for a wide panel. However, I don't think UW is a must have, as I probably would ditch UW for a very good HDR monitor if it exist in 1440p.

I was also at the crossroads between VA and IPS panels, but ultimately went for VA as I use it for games and movies and I also prefer higher contrast ratio. I personally don't mind my monitor's smearing too much, but it also raised my minimum tolerance of game's fps. I was fine with TN panel with 50+ fps, but for my current monitor it would be around 75-80+. When it's at 60 fps it looked like the "motion blur" was too high and I think that specific problem occurred only for AOC CU34G2X.

If you have limited budget then you rather spend the same money for higher performing response time on 1440p IPS. But if you use your monitor for something else like movies, or you really want better contrast ratio then VA panel is more likely be suited for you. As for ultrawide I think you should try to see it for yourself in stores first before purchasing it. If you've decided for VA UW and some games you're playing is at 60 FPS, then don't get AOC CU34G2X and get other similar monitor instead. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

On 7/15/2021 at 2:27 AM, BuzzingBee said:

I currently own AOC CU34G2X

It is on my list 😄 It is pretty well calibrated for grays and produces very accurate colors with calibration. But overall is pretty average, i guess money go for being ultrawide... which i really don't know if i want. It makes webpages show kinda weird, yt doesn't use all space. And games look better (if they support it)... but they also drop performance as you go for more than standard 1440p. Nearly double that.
I think i will drop UW for now. If at some time in future i decide to want one i might replace two monitors with one. Currently... nah.

I work with graphics and i also have"trained eye" so to speak so IPs vs VA is extremaly hard. I want wider color space of IPs but also deeper contrasts and blacks of VA. I can see smearing (ina way, both my monitors for years were VA, so it's rather that i now discover monitors do not have to do that.
Samsung would be SOOOOO good for this case. Good color space, good color representation, no smearing, VA pane, even HDR is semi-decent.

BUT IS SOOO CURVED i don't know if I could work on it.