Switch speed problems

Go to solution Solved by Olithelombax,

I found out that there was another switch between the "problematic switch" and the PC. After removing it the speed jumped to 94Mbit/s. Then I replaced the remaining switch and got the propper speed on one PC but another went back to 9Mbit/s.

There are way to many possible points of failure on my network for me to find a propper solution, so  for now I'll just run some temporary wires to get things working better.

Between my PC and modem i have a TP Link TL-SG1008D hardware version 5.1. Most of the time I only get about 9Mbit/s on my connection to it. I read that it has "Auto-negotiation ports provide smart integration between 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1000Mbps hardware." thinking that this is the root of my problem. Seeing how it's not a managed switch I dont know how to fix this. Does anyone have any tips or tricks, or will i just have to bye a new switch that doesn't decide how much speed I get?

How are you measuring the speed?

Are you doing an internet speed test or something on google?

Have you tried a different cable? Are you sure modem supports gigabit speeds?

Just confirming. What speeds are you expecting and have you tested your speeds on other devices?

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

I have tested the speed using speedtest.net. I also get the same resuts when downloading games from steam, movies etc.

I have tried with different cables but it does not change anything.

I get 9.4Mbps up and down. When it works i get 500 down 20 up, witch is what i pay for

I get the same problem on my laptop and desktop.

And do you never have the issue if you remove the switch? Did you try changing the cable between modem and switch as well?

If so then the switch is probably just faulty. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Faulty switch or might be the problem from the ISP?

Might be try to check your LAN status, it should show 1.0 Gbps like below.

local area connection status

I read that it has "Auto-negotiation ports provide smart integration between 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1000Mbps hardware."

Means it's auto-negotiating of local LAN speed between those speeds depending of what you connect to the switch. Older devices can only support Ethernet/Fast Ethernet, hence, auto-negotiating. And such thing are on every single switch nowadays.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

The speed directly form the modem is as it should be. So, new switch then. Should i look for someting witout the "speed controll" or anything else I should be aware of? 

25 minutes ago, Benji said:

The "speed control" doesn't exist and is just a term for the auto-negotiation that is the de-facto standard nowadays. You can't get any switches without it. They all have it.

Did you try to normally transfer files over the network? Say, to a NAS or from one Windows machine to another? I'd check the speeds and consistency with that before going out, buying a new switch and figuring out it's something that the router does or that it's actually an over-booked cable connection.

Can it be the router if the wifi speeds are good and consistent? 

6 minutes ago, Benji said:

Sure, because you never know how a router handles switches and more than one Ethernet device.

How many Ethernet ports does the router have? Because some might have trouble with the QoS when they are designed to have only one Ethernet-capable device connected.

The router has 4 ports. One is used for the TV-box and one goes to the switch, witch has 8 ports.

I found out that there was another switch between the "problematic switch" and the PC. After removing it the speed jumped to 94Mbit/s. Then I replaced the remaining switch and got the propper speed on one PC but another went back to 9Mbit/s.

There are way to many possible points of failure on my network for me to find a propper solution, so  for now I'll just run some temporary wires to get things working better.