Microsoft Details The Final Security Patches For Windows XP

JantsoP

End of the line, shorty! Windows XP is in its final stretch, with the fan favorite operating system about to receive its final set of security fixes next week as part of the Patch Tuesday cycle on April 8, 2014.

That means only five days remain before end of support for Windows XP, Office 2003 and Windows Server 2003. And by that token Internet Explorer 6 too — as this was the version of the browser that came by default with the classic old operating system.

Source: http://www.eyeonwindows.com/2014/04/04/microsoft-details-the-final-security-patches-for-windows-xp/

This post has been promoted to an article

"Security Patch" for what is essentially NT 3.5

air-quotes.gif

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I changed my old computer with XP to Lubuntu.(If my monitor could stop turning off after 10 min that would be great).  I already changed/disabled/deleted DPM, xscreensaver everything still no solution.. Another problem is gnome media player, can't even play videos without getting black screens/screen freezes with only sound output. Had to install VLC and restricted extras to make it work.

I don't know how do people recommend switch to Linux if something so simple get's so complicated.

12 years of support, not too bad at all

It's not so impressive when you consider the reason they've supported it that long was because it was the most popular Windows used like forever and even today it's still the second most popular. They had no choice but to support it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Guess it's time to upgrade from IE6, any recommendations? :(

its been time to upgrade since 2003. . .

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Good. I'm kinda tired of seeing crappy Dell XP boxes everywhere in business and public libraries.

I changed my old computer with XP to Lubuntu.(If my monitor could stop turning off after 10 min that would be great).  I already changed/disabled/deleted DPM, xscreensaver everything still no solution.. Another problem is gnome media player, can't even play videos without getting black screens/screen freezes with only sound output. Had to install VLC and restricted extras to make it work.

I don't know how do people recommend switch to Linux if something so simple get's so complicated.

I used Ubuntu for two weeks just to try it out, and while it's not as intuitive as windows I can't say that I had any huge issues like you detail,let alone one after another.

I would begin to consider the system to be at fault rather than the OS.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I used Ubuntu for two weeks just to try it out, and while it's not as intuitive as windows I can't say that I had any huge issues like you detail,let alone one after another.

I would begin to consider the system to be at fault rather than the OS.

I know I'm not the only one, a quick search on Google showed at least 30 results with the same problem as mine

I know I'm not the only one, a quick search on Google showed at least 30 results with the same problem as mine

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1957774

User on that forum says that fixed it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Guess it's time to upgrade from IE6, any recommendations? :(

Put Linux on it, theres a program called Wine that will allow you to run windows apps in linux.  Sorry dude, but xp is gonna be like the freaking colesium soon.  Full of blood with people beating up each other.  Dangerous.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1957774

User on that forum says that fixed it.

In the end I had to use this to fix the problem

cd /etc/X11
sudo mkdir xorg.conf.d
cd xorg.conf.d
sudo touch 10-disable-dpms.conf
sudo nano 10-disable-dpms.conf 
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

Anyways thank you for help

Windows XP was the first Windows OS that was fundamentally stable and reliable that was meant for the consumer market. The old MS DOS based Windows 95 and 98 crashed or froze with very regular frequency.