HELP PELASE! G.Skill Trident Z Lighting Control & Armoury Crate CORRUPTS RAM SPD

So I have been spamming the forums trying to troubleshoot some serious issues I've been having with my RAM. I've installed G.Skill Lighting Control Software together with Armoury Crate and that's when I've started to notice my RAM's animations beginning to freeze and different colours to flicker.. I've been reading online and apparently doing so CORRUPTS your RAM's SPD settings at which point you need to flash them.

Can someone PLEASE confirm or HELP, I'm loosing my mind..

Also, everything is brand new and STOCK, it has never been touched apart from updating the BIOS

Specs

CPU:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Motherboard:

• ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM:

• G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (4X8), DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C18Q-32GTZN)

GPU:

• Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT SE

Case:

• Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black

Storage:

• Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, M.2

PSU:

• Corsair RMx Series RM1000x 1000W

Display(s):

• LG UltraGear 27GN850-B, 27"

Cooling:

• AIO: Arctic liquid Freezer II 360 +
  • Ventilation: 9X Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB

UPDATE: Thaiphoon Burner reports CRC OK and SPD Checksum OK as well.

Should I remain worried or is it a software issue at this point?

Any other way to check SPD?

I have a similar problem with Trident Z, but in my case is the ASRock polychrom rgb app that's messing up my ram rgb settings.

My advice would be to restart the pc, start armory crate, set your desired rgb effects, save and exit the app, make shure armory crate doesn't start automatically when you start your pc, don't worry, it doesn't have to run in the background for the rgb effects to function as you have set them up.

Now restart your pc again, launch the g.skill app and set your desired rgb effects, close the app... and voila! Everything works like it should!

4 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

why not just run one software to control the RAM LED?

That's what he's trying to do...but what he doesent know is that the two rgb apps are conflicting with each other,  armory crate and any other mainboard rgb controller app seems to overwrite any rgb settings chosen in the g.skill rgb app. 

2 hours ago, rockyroller said:

why not just run one software to control the RAM LED?

Exactly what @jaymorrow said.. I was setting up my new PC, upgrading from a 9 year old PC and downloaded most drivers, etc. including lighting. Didn't know you can't have both installed at the same time 😰

2 hours ago, jaymorrow said:

My advice would be to restart the pc, start armory crate, set your desired rgb effects, save and exit the app, make shure armory crate doesn't start automatically when you start your pc, don't worry, it doesn't have to run in the background for the rgb effects to function as you have set them up.

Now restart your pc again, launch the g.skill app and set your desired rgb effects, close the app... and voila! Everything works like it should!

I'll try that. Like I mentioned above Thaiphoon Burner reports my SPD settings to be correct, so they did not get corrupt, which is promising news, however I still hope I didn't mess anything up.

I'm not used to this much setting up an lighting hahah, I thought this sh*t was more plug & play than it actually is 😅

Anyways, I decided to do a complete Windows 10 reinstall, but the RAM is still kind of glitching out in reference to the animations. I have just set them to a solid color and now everything seems fine. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up (again)!

Use the g skill app for it. Turn armoury crate off in bios. It’s useless 

21 hours ago, gal-m said:

Exactly what @jaymorrow said.. I was setting up my new PC, upgrading from a 9 year old PC and downloaded most drivers, etc. including lighting. Didn't know you can't have both installed at the same time 😰

I'll try that. Like I mentioned above Thaiphoon Burner reports my SPD settings to be correct, so they did not get corrupt, which is promising news, however I still hope I didn't mess anything up.

I'm not used to this much setting up an lighting hahah, I thought this sh*t was more plug & play than it actually is 😅

Anyways, I decided to do a complete Windows 10 reinstall, but the RAM is still kind of glitching out in reference to the animations. I have just set them to a solid color and now everything seems fine. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up (again)!

Dude, you got it all wrong...you can have both programs installed at the same time, you just have to set the rgb effects on your fans and led strips or whatever you have connected to the rgb header on your mainbord first using the armory crate app, after that close the app down and make shure it doesn't start automatically when you start your pc ( you can check that stuff in the task manager -> startup).

Now restart your pc and run the g.skill rgb software, set your desired ram rgb effect and your done.

The only rule in this case is to not run both rgb apps at the same time, because they are conflicting with each other.

1 hour ago, jaymorrow said:

Dude, you got it all wrong...you can have both programs installed at the same time, you just have to set the rgb effects on your fans and led strips or whatever you have connected to the rgb header on your mainbord first using the armory crate app, after that close the app down and make shure it doesn't start automatically when you start your pc ( you can check that stuff in the task manager -> startup).

Now restart your pc and run the g.skill rgb software, set your desired ram rgb effect and your done.

The only rule in this case is to not run both rgb apps at the same time, because they are conflicting with each other.

Hey @jaymorrow I've actually done pretty much that. I started Armoury Crate first, then iCUE, then the G.Skill Lighting Software separately (I'm pretty sure I didn't have Armoury Crate and G.Skill Lighting software running at the same time), but I started getting weird animation glitching a minute after boot. I did not have. Upon searching across the internet I found several reports of SPD data corruption just by having both of these apps installed at the same time with symptoms very much like mine which is why it was freaking me out. Like I mentioned before I made sure to check if the SPD data is okay and from what I understand Thaiphoon burner is reporting everything being fine. Still don't quite get how something as stupid as "pretty light" software can cause such damages to physical RAM sticks...

The only thing I can think of is iCUE running in the background while I was setting the effect in Armoury Crate, HOWEVER I'm not sure why the effect glitches even after a restart/shutdown. 

4 hours ago, Netarangi said:

Use the g skill app for it. Turn armoury crate off in bios. It’s useless

Actually @Netarangi it's the G.Skill app that is (or was, not sure if they fixed it) apparently responsible for the corruption of SPD data 😞 

I will agree with ALL RGB software being quite poorly executed, maybe apart from Corsair's iCUE, which has always seemed to be fine.. and maybe some Logitech software, but even that is debatable 😅

Never used any other software than the ASUS software. Haven't had any problems with it not detecting something so far.

First of all uninstall the G.Skill app and restart the system.

In Armoury Crate:

On the bottom left corner should be a gear icon. Click that and go to the "Update Center" and update everything under "Device & Component".

You probably need to restart your PC at least once if you do that.

After that go to Aura Sync and use the search for devices button. Now your RAM should be in the devices list.

Set your RGB how you like it and close Armoury Crate and disable it so it doesn't start with windows (works either way).

If that doesn't work something is interfering with it (ICUE probably).

Why are you using ICUE? What does it control?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

12 hours ago, Montana16 said:

First of all uninstall the G.Skill app and restart the system.

Hey @Montana16 I uninstalled that, then proceeded reinstalling Windows 10 completely (to be safe), while doing a lot and I really mean a lot of restarts after pretty much every single update/driver/software install.

In Armoury Crate:

On the bottom left corner should be a gear icon. Click that and go to the "Update Center" and update everything under "Device & Component".

I have done this.

You probably need to restart your PC at least once if you do that.

I did this every time I changed anything to do with RGB lighting - don't think it's necessary, but I did it anyways.

After that go to Aura Sync and use the search for devices button. Now your RAM should be in the devices list.

Don't have Aura Sync installed, since Armoury Crate replaces it. Don't think I should have both installed.. should I?

Set your RGB how you like it and close Armoury Crate and disable it so it doesn't start with windows (works either way).

As far as I know it's not starting with Windows, because it's not on the Task Manager list or the Windows Startup Apps list.

If that doesn't work something is interfering with it (ICUE probably).

I am starting to think iCUE and Armoury Crate don't work together well, which is strange since iCUE can't control my RAM.. I think

Why are you using ICUE? What does it control?

I have 9 Corsair LL120 fans plugged into my Corsair Commander Pro via the Lighting Node Pro's.

2 hours ago, gal-m said:

Don't have Aura Sync installed, since Armoury Crate replaces it. Don't think I should have both installed.. should I?

I meant the Aura sync menu in Armoury Crate.

2 hours ago, gal-m said:

I have 9 Corsair LL120 fans plugged into my Corsair Commander Pro via the Lighting Node Pro's.

OK. Yeah it's the worst that everyone does their own shit. Anyway I have read in a forum a while back where someone bypassed the Commander PRO so that he could control everything with Aura sync.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

51 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

Anyway I have read in a forum a while back where someone bypassed the Commander PRO so that he could control everything with Aura sync.

Just looked at some Diagrams that show how the Corsair stuff works. I noticed one thing: If you have a CORSAIR RGB Fan LED Hub you could just use the 3pin and connect it straight to your motherboard instead of the Commander Pro that way you could control the RGB on your fans with Aura sync.

15 hours ago, Montana16 said:

I meant the Aura sync menu in Armoury Crate

Ohhhh, yeah everything is detected and synced on that list @Montana16!

15 hours ago, Montana16 said:

OK. Yeah it's the worst that everyone does their own shit.

I agree 100%, you really don't get a smooth experience which sucks...

14 hours ago, Montana16 said:

Just looked at some Diagrams that show how the Corsair stuff works. I noticed one thing: If you have a CORSAIR RGB Fan LED Hub you could just use the 3pin and connect it straight to your motherboard instead of the Commander Pro that way you could control the RGB on your fans with Aura sync.

The Corsair Commander Pro let's you control RGB via the two Lighting Node Pro's which are then connected to the Commander Pro. The Commander Pro also controls the fan speed. TLDR: everything is plugged into the Commander Pro which than needs to be plugged in via a single USB port to the motherboard.

Not sure if I can change anything in reference how the Commander Pro works 😕..

6 hours ago, gal-m said:

Ohhhh, yeah everything is detected and synced on that list

OK. So your RAM RGB works with Armoury Crate? But your XMP doesn't? Even after removing G.Skills software?

6 hours ago, gal-m said:

The Corsair Commander Pro let's you control RGB via the two Lighting Node Pro's which are then connected to the Commander Pro. The Commander Pro also controls the fan speed. TLDR: everything is plugged into the Commander Pro which than needs to be plugged in via a single USB port to the motherboard.

Not sure if I can change anything in reference how the Commander Pro works 😕..

Oh so you don't have the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub? In that case I don't know.

If you have the Hub thing where you can connect like 6 different things to it you can connect that straight to your motherboard RGB headers without needing the Commander to control RGB.

22 hours ago, Montana16 said:

OK. So your RAM RGB works with Armoury Crate? But your XMP doesn't? Even after removing G.Skills software?

No, my RAM doesn't work with Armory Crate - the animations are glitching out. E.g. the rainbow (or anything else except for STATIC colors) stops flowing, freezes and then glitches out  and flashing different colors with the RAM sticks not being fully lit up - these are classic symptoms of G.Skill Lighting Software SPD data corruption (from what I've seen), except that Thaiphoon Burner checked my SPD data out and reports back as OK.

XMP (D.O.C.P) works, I have just enabled it today and the RAM runs fine at 3600 Mhz

22 hours ago, Montana16 said:

If you have the Hub thing where you can connect like 6 different things to it you can connect that straight to your motherboard RGB headers

Nope @Montana16 it connects to my motherboard via USB 😕 

50 minutes ago, gal-m said:

No, my RAM doesn't work with Armory Crate - the animations are glitching out

OK. Since I also have an Asus board and G.skill memory the only two differences I see is me having an Intel system and you using iCUE. Different CPU brands shouldn't make a difference for lighting (I think) so my guess would be that iCUE isn't playing nice with Armoury Crate.

59 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Nope @Montana16 it connects to my motherboard via USB 😕 

I was talking about this https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020 .

It seems like you don't have this. With that hub it is possible to connect your corsair stuff directly to the motherboard and controlling it with Armoury Crate. So no need for ICUE and those things from corsair that connect via USB.

Have you tried disconnecting the commander PRO and all that other Corsair stuff and disabling iCUE to see if your RAM rgb works with only Armoury Crate?

23 hours ago, Montana16 said:

I was talking about this https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020 .

It seems like you don't have this. With that hub it is possible to connect your corsair stuff directly to the motherboard and controlling it with Armoury Crate. So no need for ICUE and those things from corsair that connect via USB.

Ohh @Montana16 yeah the fans actually do come with that module as well. It's all supposed to be connected to the Commander Pro, since you get to control all of your fans from "one place". I could try connecting them directly into my motherboard to see if that would help.. not sure if it's worth the hassle since my system is cable managed (almost) to perfection at the moment.

23 hours ago, Montana16 said:

Have you tried disconnecting the commander PRO and all that other Corsair stuff and disabling iCUE to see if your RAM rgb works with only Armoury Crate?

Darn, don't know why I haven't thought of that! I'll try that and look at a couple of other options I found on some other Corsair and G.Skill forums and report back.

Really want to say THANK YOU SINCERELY @Montana16 for your time and effort into finding potential solutions 🙂