Better Videos and Pictures on Android

Hello everyone,

I want to record a video but the quality is extremely bad.

I use a RoG Phone 5, from the specs the camera should be ok. It looks good on my phone but as soon as I see it on my PC it's extremely bad. I had a 100euro DSLR and I'm familiar with iso, shutter speed etc

It looks like it has extreme smoothing to the point where it creates artifacts, it doesn't have this "static noise" from high ISO it has a weird corny texture.

I've seen someone make a video about Filmic Pro App and the features are nice but my problem isn't iso lighting etc but those smoothing artifacts.

Does anyone know more about this? How to get better Videos and Pictures?

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

I imagine that kind of thing is implemented in software. Maybe try downloading a camera app which gives you more customisation. I've used this one before and it's pretty good. The Play Store incorrectly lists it as containing advertising, which it doesn't.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 hours ago, BotDamian said:

Hello everyone,

I want to record a video but the quality is extremely bad.

I use a RoG Phone 5, from the specs the camera should be ok. It looks good on my phone but as soon as I see it on my PC it's extremely bad. I had a 100euro DSLR and I'm familiar with iso, shutter speed etc

It looks like it has extreme smoothing to the point where it creates artifacts, it doesn't have this "static noise" from high ISO it has a weird corny texture.

I've seen someone make a video about Filmic Pro App and the features are nice but my problem isn't iso lighting etc but those smoothing artifacts.

Does anyone know more about this? How to get better Videos and Pictures?

Phone cameras aren't great. From the specs they advertise, one would think they're not bad but subjective opinion on whether photo/video is good or not is comes into play.

They're are apps like you mentioned which allow you to easily adjust camera settings. This might make the photo and video better.

1 hour ago, VFXGuy said:

Phone cameras aren't great. From the specs they advertise, one would think they're not bad but subjective opinion on whether photo/video is good or not is comes into play.

They're are apps like you mentioned which allow you to easily adjust camera settings. This might make the photo and video better.

But are the 15 bucks worth it compared to buying a new DSLR?
I want to make videos and vlogs so yeah, it needs to be somehow good and because it's a phone I always carry it with me.

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

22 hours ago, BotDamian said:

But are the 15 bucks worth it compared to buying a new DSLR?
I want to make videos and vlogs so yeah, it needs to be somehow good and because it's a phone I always carry it with me.

I would say recommend starting with a basic DSLR (if you have the resources) like a Canon 80D. If you aren't going to have the around 60+% of the time you need to be filming- I would pay the £15.

• 2 weeks later...

It hugely depends on the phone, but many (majority?) of them won't allow apps to access raw sensor data - and that would be the only way to skip that horrible denoise of phones. Also if you'd decide for camera, get DSLR (80D is indeed a fair choice!), as VFX suggest, instead some cheap camera, because https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter is sadly a standard for the latter and for dynamic scenes you wouldn't want that.

You could invest in better light setup, but you probably already know that. It will give slightly better results, but overall you still lack the control over the photo.