Optimal Air Flow Cooling?

Nanook

I have always not been comfortable having a rad in the front intake. To me it just seems to preheat the air coming into the case. If there are any other rads serving as exhaust, then they don't get fresh ambient air going through them. Instead they get case air that is already preheated from the front rad. Plus this preheated air serves to make other components on the motherboard hotter like the VRM's or capacitors. I thought and thought about a solution to avoid this preheated front intake air and what I came up with is the configuration below.

5fre5l.jpg

This way no exhaust from anywhere is poured into the case only exhaust out the top and back with copious amount of fresh air coming in through the unobstructed front fans. This should make the air inside the case basically the same as ambient. Ergo then the top and rear exhaust rads get fresh ambient air passing through them.

However, I have not been able to find a single case with good air flow that has both 360 top and rear rad capability.

So, is my thinking correct about avoiding front rad preheated air coming into the case and is this a good solution to that, or am I making an issue out of a nonissue?

Thank you

How on earth will a case have rear rad capabilities?  

Front rads are fine, and yes they do preheat the air but that means the CPU gets cooler air than the GPU.  Which is what some want.  

You're making an issue out of a non-issue.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

8 minutes ago, Nanook said:

or am I making an issue out of a nonissue?

yeah that.

it's a computer not a sky scrapper. the air doesn't sit in the machine long enough to make a difference where the rad is.

Note that most every car on earth is blowing hot air directly from the rad onto the engine and they all work just fine. You;re cooling the machine with water not air , wouldn;t even matter if the air in the case was hot anyway as long as the water is cold.

Do you really need 2x360?

I think at least Phanteks Enthoo pro2 fits those as exhaust in roof, side or bottom.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

yeah that.

it's a computer not a sky scrapper. the air doesn't sit in the machine long enough to make a difference where the rad is.

Note that most every car on earth is blowing hot air directly from the rad onto the engine and they all work just fine. You;re cooling the machine with water not air , wouldn;t even matter if the air in the case was hot anyway as long as the water is cold.

Yea, I agree it is mostly a nonissue. But would the configuration I posted (if a 360 rear rad was possible) in a good air flow case, then would it make even 1 degree cooler temps? Why not let us aim for optimal, even if it wont matter much.

5 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Do you really need 2x360?

I think at least Phanteks Enthoo pro2 fits those as exhaust in roof, side or bottom.

Absolutely not lol. A GPU with good air cooling and a NH-D15 will work fine. But why not explore new possibilities?

6 minutes ago, Nanook said:

would it make even 1 degree cooler temps?

no probably not.

what you aren't factoring in , is all you've done is take the now hot exhaust air the computer produces and are now blowing it through the radiator. So no , your solution wouldn;t really gain anything and might actually be worse.

You want a perfect setup? put the rad entirely outside of the case. cool air goes in , hot air is outside the case. the perfect place for your cars radiator if all you cared about was cooling.... is straight up and down on the roof.

Should be pretty obvious, but there is no case with 360mm radiator support for the rear, because that's where the graphics card mounts to.

If you still want to try the concept yourself, simply turn the fans around. That'll cause a lot of dust to get into the case tho.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

no probably not.

what you aren't factoring in , is all you've done is take the now hot exhaust air the computer produces and are now blowing it through the radiator. So no , your solution wouldn;t really gain anything and might actually be worse.

You want a perfect setup? put the rad entirely outside of the case. cool air goes in , hot air is outside the case. the perfect place for your cars radiator if all you cared about was cooling.... is straight up and down on the roof.

But that doesn't look cool.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Should be pretty obvious, but there is not case with 360mm radiator support for the rear, because that's where the graphics card mounts to.

Unless manufacturers make the case really wide? It could happen.

Just now, Nanook said:

But that doesn't look cool.

Exactly. it RUNS cool

17 minutes ago, Nanook said:

Yea, I agree it is mostly a nonissue. But would the configuration I posted (if a 360 rear rad was possible) in a good air flow case, then would it make even 1 degree cooler temps? Why not let us aim for optimal, even if it wont matter much.

so in taking cooler air will make w/e its contented to cooler but everything els hotter. putting he ran on top will intake hoter air and make w/e its connected to hotter compared to the front but wont heat up the vrm, gpu, mb pcbs. so its a trade off.

case that have that were designed around water cooling have a bottom rad mount and intake from the side bottom and out the side bottom.

but because of water cooling being so expensive they build most pc case around the 360 aio.

lian la has an bottom case cumming end of this year. and hopefully silver stone got SOMETHING...

51JpXKiazIL._AC_.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

10 minutes ago, Nanook said:

its been done...

eris-evo-6.png

https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=124

i think there was an inwin 909 case as well that had a back mount but dont remember.

In Win 909 ATX Case Review - Page 3 of 4 - ExtremeRigs.net

inwin 982

banner_case_04.png

inwin 925

925_banner_05_m.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

3 minutes ago, Nanook said:

Then you might aswell hang that up onto a wall

1590312-n0.jpg

the lian li air could do in front in bottom out side and top