Laptop Sleep and Shutdown Issue

Daniel644

I have an HP Spectre x360 15t Late 2017 model laptop, have owned it since late November 2017, I move around a lot so I use Sleep mode a lot, like 3-4 times a day so I don't have to close my web browser and it's 300+ tabs (I know I have a problem, it's easier then bookmarking, LOL).

Anyway this past weekend I went and hit the power button to put the computer to sleep, then as I went to bag it up to take with me I noticed the power light came back on, the computer had RESTARTED (not gone to sleep), I try doing the Shutdown and same thing the computer restarts after about 5-10 seconds, the only way I have successfully managed to get the computer turned off is to long press the power button.

So far I have tried:

1. removing one ram stick, then the other ram stick (reinstalling the first one), to rule out a memory error)

2. unplug the battery incase some kind of surge was causing it to trigger the computer to restart

3. update to the latest build of Windows 10

4. Reset Windows Keeping my Files

5. Reset Windows Not keeping anything

I also did other things before resetting windows like disabling fast startup and other trouble shooting measures, NOTHING had any effect. happens when running on battery or plugged into the wall.

Anyone ever seen a computer that just keeps restarting like this?

I once had similar issues. My PC just turned on randomly when it was in sleep mode. I remember doing something with the network adapter so it can't wake up the PC (Device Manager > One of your network adapters > Energy management (or however it is called in English)). After a short googling I've also read that drivers might be an issue. While doing this I came across this, I've come across this (https://davescomputertips.com/windows-10-wont-sleep-solved/) and it looked sort of promissing as they did something else than just poking around in the dark. I don't know whether it will help or not, though.

1 hour ago, startrek03 said:

I once had similar issues. My PC just turned on randomly when it was in sleep mode. I remember doing something with the network adapter so it can't wake up the PC (Device Manager > One of your network adapters > Energy management (or however it is called in English)). After a short googling I've also read that drivers might be an issue. While doing this I came across this, I've come across this (https://davescomputertips.com/windows-10-wont-sleep-solved/) and it looked sort of promissing as they did something else than just poking around in the dark. I don't know whether it will help or not, though.

energy-report.html here is the report generated from following the guide you linked, it shows something about a driver not allowing the computer to automatically enter sleep but just shows weird symbols and doesn't say which driver, it is the 5th error on the list, then below that error there is one that talks about the Bluetooth (which is part of the wifi card the laptop came with) but it's talking about the bluetooth like it's a USB device, I would also note I just got a new cell phone last week and the weekend was the first time I attempted to pair it over BT to the laptop and it had issues connecting and was listed in the computers BT device list twice. I just checked the Device Manager and it doesn't have that Power Management Option for any of the Bluetooth devices and on the Network adapter that setting is not checked, so it doesn't need to be unchecked.

I may just try deleting the bluetooth drivers and see if that does anything then if it does try to troubleshoot because I use bluetooth headphones and need those working.

Edit: tried updating multiple drivers and even a BIOS update and still nothing has changed, the Device Manager does show a device it calls "Detection Verification" as missing a driver, i'll try more drivers later tonight till I at least find that one.

14 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

energy-report.html here is the report generated from following the guide you linked, it shows something about a driver not allowing the computer to automatically enter sleep but just shows weird symbols and doesn't say which driver, it is the 5th error on the list, then below that error there is one that talks about the Bluetooth (which is part of the wifi card the laptop came with) but it's talking about the bluetooth like it's a USB device, I would also note I just got a new cell phone last week and the weekend was the first time I attempted to pair it over BT to the laptop and it had issues connecting and was listed in the computers BT device list twice. I just checked the Device Manager and it doesn't have that Power Management Option for any of the Bluetooth devices and on the Network adapter that setting is not checked, so it doesn't need to be unchecked.

I may just try deleting the bluetooth drivers and see if that does anything then if it does try to troubleshoot because I use bluetooth headphones and need those working.

Edit: tried updating multiple drivers and even a BIOS update and still nothing has changed, the Device Manager does show a device it calls "Detection Verification" as missing a driver, i'll try more drivers later tonight till I at least find that one.

From what I can tell (aka, what I could find out through that link), it might actually be that weird driver with those weird symbols.