The disdain and idolization of lesser brands

Dragonzeanse

So here's some food for thought. Have you ever seen someone say that "x is overrated"? In this context, let's say "Asus is overrated." Then you might even get an opportunity to see that person recommend a brand that fewer people use. It doesn't matter if he owns it or not, what matters is that he is suggesting it. It reflects a sort of favoritism for the "underdog" simply because they are. On the flip side, you see smaller brands like, hell, let's say ADATA. Since they don't have the wide reputation that people so often attribute to Corsair, someone might instinctively suggest they're a "small company" or say that their products aren't high-quality. Hell, they might just gravitate away from it. Similarly, you might see a little-known company that makes coolers for a graphics card, which a lot of people seem to hate without giving their rationale - or perhaps instead, rationalizing that because they saw one person on Tom's Hardware complain about it, they all suck.

Even as I type this, my lizard brain is telling me that Club3D, PNY, Zotac, and so on are awful brands when associated with video cards, or more specifically, the coolers on them. EVGA and Asus have - in my mind - won their reputation through their customer service and superb products (your mileage may vary). They aren't engraved as some sort of superbrand for the sake of having one. I look at each product from each company whether it be Corsair or it be a brand of anything similarly related more unknown to the general user, and I try to be holistic. A history of quality products is no guarantee of future quality products; one example being the Kingston SSDNow V300, which now uses different flash.

My question is something that could be approached from multiple angles, I feel. What is it about these lesser brands that trigger the hipster in us - or on the other hand, turns us against it - that makes us at all concerned with these companies? I'm hoping people might be able to rationalize this with more than just a single sentence like "haters gon hate" or whatever reiterated argument you've made in the past. Do smaller companies deserve their flak, perhaps until they earn a better reputation or actually surpass another company in profits? Where might this scrutiny be necessary? Is it unfair? Discuss.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I think part of it is people wanting to believe in the little guy, and help him out instead of throwing more money at the "giant corporation". I think with smaller companies, or existing companies that branch out it to new areas even, you have a chance to get really good components/products for a great price and have great customer service to go with it. You also have the chance of getting broken piles of shit that never work if you don't do your research before hand. 

I think everyone sort of wants to be the first one to find the next big thing/brand. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

I think you generally find that the big popular brands all started out the same way, as small independent brands and became big due to them being noticed.

I think companies like Asus in your example are popular and highly "trusted" because they have proven their build quality, reliability, and customer service over the years with all of the products they have released, and how they communicate with the community they cater for.

Just because a brand is small doens't necessarily mean it has low build quality, but it doens't necessarily mean they are bespoke either, just that they have not built up the trust of their customers as much as other brands.

Like would you trust a BMW to drive your family around in, or a car built by that bloke round the corner that only has a few customers.Clearly he has a loyal hardcore audience, but not enough widespread trust.

I think people inherently trust brands they have heard lots about over smaller less known brands. - unless the smaller brand is doing something custom and bespoke, in which case the consensus is that since they don't have to please the masses they can design the product in a way they see fit to meet the demands of the few customers that want it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii