Corsair HX1000i annoying constant buzzing sound

KingOfDog

Yesterday, I finally got my long-awaited Corsair PSU (HX1000i) which I needed to continue my build upgrade.

Sadly, after having replaced my old PSU with the new one and turning it on, there's a continuous buzzing sound which is quiet loud (it's noticeable over the fan whirring and even loud music) and annoying in my opinion. I put an audio recording of the PSU as an attachment as well as the sound I'm referring to extracted from the original file.

(While listening to the recording, I also noticed a clicking noise which I can't explain myself – is that also something stemming from the PSU? I didn't use any mouse or so while recording...)

Anyways, I would like to know whether this is normal, if there is something I can do about it, or if it is just a defective unit. The latter wouldn't be too surprising as the PSU was packaged very poorly and the outer box (not the branded one) had a hole in it. The PSU box had quite a lot of wiggle room in the outer box.

Record-2.wav extracted.wav

4 minutes ago, KingOfDog said:

continuous buzzing

sounds like coile whine to me.

how much power did you draw when it occured? or was the system idling?

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

8 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

sounds like coile whine to me.

how much power did you draw when it occured? or was the system idling?

The noise is there as soon as the system boots and doesn't stop. I only feel like it gets louder when the load increases.

During the recording, the system had a load of about 150W in and ~130W out.

4 minutes ago, KingOfDog said:

The noise is there as soon as the system boots and doesn't stop. I only feel like it gets louder when the load increases.

During the recording, the system had a load of about 150W in and ~130W out.

googled it in the meantime and apperently there are several reports of a coilwhine issue with the hx1000i

curiously i have never expirienced anything similar with my hx850i

what you could try, if available to you, is using a ups and rule out dirty power as the cause of the issue

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

Just now, LauriHimself said:

what you could try, if available to you, is using a ups and rule out dirty power as the cause of the issue

Online, pure sine wave UPS. Line-interactive or approximated sine wave UPS wouldn't make any difference.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

33 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

googled it in the meantime and apperently there are several reports of a coilwhine issue with the hx1000i

Unfortunately, I don't have a UPS. However, I would find it very confusing if the Corsair HX1000i as a premium PSU had problems with the power in my house when my old PSU was a cheap one from a pre-built PC and did not have any problems like this. I'll try different sockets though...

10 hours ago, LauriHimself said:

Googling many things can bring one to the conclusion that a certain condition is common.

Also, a UPS isn't going to do anything to solve the problem.

@KingOfDog

What USB devices do you have plugged into the motherboard?  That includes and USB hubs, chargers, etc.

Also, is there anything in your house that could feed noise into the mains, like an EV charger or a tankless water heater?

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

common

To be fair, I, a non native speaker, specifically chose the word "several" over "many". Still you are right.

Mea Culpa 

20 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Googling many things can bring one to the conclusion that a certain condition is common.

Also, a UPS isn't going to do anything to solve the problem.

@KingOfDog

What USB devices do you have plugged into the motherboard?  That includes and USB hubs, chargers, etc.

Also, is there anything in your house that could feed noise into the mains, like an EV charger or a tankless water heater?

As for USB devices, I only have two wireless sticks for mouse (Logitech G703) and keyboard (Logitech G915) and the cable for my GoXLR mini.

There is an EV charger in our house. However, the EV charger is connected over its own fuse and cable. I don't know about anything else that might feed noise into the grid.

Also, I would be quite confused if any of that would cause the buzzing sound as all of it was already there when I had my old PSU.

2 hours ago, KingOfDog said:

As for USB devices, I only have two wireless sticks for mouse (Logitech G703) and keyboard (Logitech G915) and the cable for my GoXLR mini.

There is an EV charger in our house. However, the EV charger is connected over its own fuse and cable. I don't know about anything else that might feed noise into the grid.

Also, I would be quite confused if any of that would cause the buzzing sound as all of it was already there when I had my old PSU.

Ok.  So it's probably not the keyboard or mouse dongles or the charging cable.

Kill the breaker to the EV charger and see if the buzzing goes away.  Not just "turn it off", but actually cut the breaker.  Yes... I know it's on it's own circuit.  They often are.

4 hours ago, KingOfDog said:

I mean, if your old PSU didn't have any input filtering then there was nothing to buzz with. I you've had some other relatively high-end PSU before and it didn't buzz and HX1000i does then maybe it would've meant that this particular sample has not enough caulk on the transient filter parts or it dried and cracked, i dunno. Other than what Jon suggested, can you test this PSU in some other PC on a different grid ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Kill the breaker to the EV charger and see if the buzzing goes away. 

As far as I know, EV "chargers" are pretty much a box with a relay and a fuse, with a charging cord attached.

The actual charging electronics are in the vehicle itself, so as long as there isn't a vehicle being charged, I don't see how that would introduce noise on the line.

28 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

As far as I know, EV "chargers" are pretty much a box with a relay and a fuse, with a charging cord attached.

The actual charging electronics are in the vehicle itself, so as long as there isn't a vehicle being charged, I don't see how that would introduce noise on the line.

That may be the case.  And if you're correct, then they can just try not plugging in the car.

All I can say is I have seen EV chargers, even on different circuits, cause buzzing on other electronics within the house.

First sound is indeed coil whine.

But second sound is louder and it would bother me too

Now I'm not sure that Corsair will RMA it based on that.

It's simply how coils work.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, frozensun said:

First sound is indeed coil whine.

But second sound is louder and it would bother me too

Now I'm not sure that Corsair will RMA it based on that.

It's simply how coils work.

Doesn't matter anymore, apparently. (Besides, the main issue was the loudness of the sound, not that the sound exists)

Anyways, I simply wrote to Amazon as the distributor and I got a replacement unit which does not have the described issue. That confirms my thought that it was indeed a faulty unit.

1 hour ago, KingOfDog said:

Doesn't matter anymore, apparently. (Besides, the main issue was the loudness of the sound, not that the sound exists)

Anyways, I simply wrote to Amazon as the distributor and I got a replacement unit which does not have the described issue. That confirms my thought that it was indeed a faulty unit.

You got replacement unit based on coil whine???
Is that truly how things work in USA?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

20 hours ago, frozensun said:

You got replacement unit based on coil whine???
Is that truly how things work in USA?

I'm based in Germany.

16 minutes ago, KingOfDog said:

I'm based in Germany.

what was the reason for RMA?

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same problem!

Your  Record-2.WAV is pretty much what I have as soon as I hit 300 watt + load (around that)

I thought it was maybe caused by the USB cable for the iCUE connector. But when I removed it, the problem still persists!
I bought it around 2 month Ago from Amazon because it was at sale (Amazon Germany and I guess same batch as yours?)

Did you contact Amazon or the Shop who sold it at Amazon?

I want to RMA mine too.