Dangerously High Temperatures?

So lately my temps have been slowly going up, either because of summer coming or other reasons.

Sig RIG gets to about 80C on the CPU and 48-50C on GPU with a combined load playing BF3. Is that too high for a watercooling setup? My ambient temps are around 25C. Whats weird is my temps dont really improve by much when I max out my fans. I can understand my CPU temps being high ( I have an early 3570k with the crappy TIM). I'm just a little concerned about my 680....

Should I be worried?

Thanks guys!

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

You couldn't give me about more information about your water cooling setup? What sort of radiator, pump etc? What case? Are your components overclocked? If so how much?

You couldn't give me about more information about your water cooling setup? What sort of radiator, pump etc? What case? Are your components overclocked? If so how much?

If you read the enitre post you'd find those in my SIG.

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

If those are your max temps, you're fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If those are your max temps, you're fine. 

Even for watercooling? I always hear people say your temperature deltas shouldn't exceed 10-15C....

Even for watercooling? I always hear people say your temperature deltas shouldn't exceed 10-15C....

Have you checked your thermal paste?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Sorry about that. I'm new to the forums. Although yours temps are ok, I would have to say that your CPU temps seem a little high. I. Using a single 360 radiator to cool a core i7 930 @ 4Ghz and 2 overclocked GTX 670s. My Max CPU temps while playing Far cry 3 (gives the highest temps for me) is only 70 degrees. Your CPU should be lower as your producing less heat.

This 30 degree difference between the CPU and GPU seems very weird for a watercooling setup. I'd say there's something very wrong between your CPU block and actual CPU. Checking the thermal paste is step one. :)

This 30 degree difference between the CPU and GPU seems very weird for a watercooling setup. I'd say there's something very wrong between your CPU block and actual CPU. Checking the thermal paste is step one. :)

I agree. I have a 10/11 degree difference and I have 2 GPUs in my loop.

yeah, it is a little strange....I'm running prime95 right now and temps shoot up from 35 to 75 immediately and STAY there.

those temps are very high for watercooling but they are not dangerous, like other people said just try reapplying the thermal paste on your CPU waterblock.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

yeah, it is a little strange....I'm running prime95 right now and temps shoot up from 35 to 75 immediately and STAY there.

Lime people have already said, it just sounds like you need to reseat your CPU block with some new TIM. Your should do that asap.

Lime people have already said, it just sounds like you need to reseat your CPU block with some new TIM. Your should do that asap.

will definitely do that, however it seems really odd that the temps stabilize straight away after about 30 seconds when running Prime95.

will definitely do that, however it seems really odd that the temps stabilize straight away after about 30 seconds when running Prime95.

what happens to your temps after running prime95 for 30 minutes? I ask because when I run prime, my CPU temps will jump from 39 degrees up to 68 degrees and then slowly increase to 74 degrees over 30 minutes.

what happens to your temps after running prime95 for 30 minutes? I ask because when I run prime, my CPU temps will jump from 39 degrees up to 68 degrees and then slowly increase to 74 degrees over 30 minutes.

nope, I've run Prime95 for over 24H and temps pretty much stay there (unless ambient temps go up obviously)...which is why this is so weird. Could it be because of the shitty IHS? Can anyone with a 3570K comment?

nope, I've run Prime95 for over 24H and temps pretty much stay there (unless ambient temps go up obviously)...which is why this is so weird. Could it be because of the shitty IHS? Can anyone with a 3570K comment?

although its entirely possible for your high temps to be caused by the poor quality thermal paste that Intel went with I would still reseat the CPU block. In honesty I haven't used the 3570k but I do know that 80 degrees while playing Battlefield 3 on a single loop system using only one GPU is high.

Are those BlackIce rads the GTS or GTX series? 

Another possibility is gunk in your loop or corrosion of your blocks.  First, reapply tim and see if it helps.  If not, disassemble everything and check your blocks for corrosion.  Also flush your blocks and rads. 

Something is definitely not right in that loop.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Maybe bring the processor back to stock clocks and volts and see roughly what temps you are getting, if its still ridiculously high then its most likely the ihs or the water block. If the temps go down maybe pull your volts down a little while still maintaining stability on your oc.

Are those BlackIce rads the GTS or GTX series? 

Another possibility is gunk in your loop or corrosion of your blocks.  First, reapply tim and see if it helps.  If not, disassemble everything and check your blocks for corrosion.  Also flush your blocks and rads. 

Something is definitely not right in that loop.

GTX....and the loop is less than a month old so I doubt its gunk. Also checked the rads....minimal dust. Problem with reapplying TIM is I'm gonna have to bleed my entire loop out. The connector that goes from the cpu to my top rad is so tight its impossible to remove the CPU block.

Without reading the whole thread your radiators are not enough.

What is happening is the radiator thermal output is not enough for the total TDP of your components. If your CPU is at 80C that is bad to put it simply. Even with cheap TIM the block should be transferring heat relatively well to your waterblock which would in turn make your water heat up.

If you have a thermometer, stick it into your reservoir while the rig is at load (run Prime95 and Furmark for about 15 mins) and tell us your water temps. If its high I'm right.

Increasing fan speed is not helping temps because the rads are doing all they can at your current fan speed.

EDIT:

Illustration

post-726-0-55970500-1367835172.png

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Without reading the whole thread your radiators are not enough.

What is happening is the radiator thermal output is not enough for the total TDP of your components. If your CPU is at 80C that is bad to put it simply. Even with cheap TIM the block should be transferring heat relatively well to your waterblock which would in turn make your water heat up.

If you have a thermometer, stick it into your reservoir while the rig is at load (run Prime95 and Furmark for about 15 mins) and tell us your water temps. If its high I'm right.

Increasing fan speed is not helping temps because the rads are doing all they can at your current fan speed.

EDIT:

Illustration

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

From what I'm told its roughly 150W/Rad so maybe my cooling IS insufficient. 3570K probably pulls around 100W now with the OC I have on it. The water does get warm and the so do the fittings.

From what I'm told its roughly 150W/Rad so maybe my cooling IS insufficient. 3570K probably pulls around 100W now with the OC I have on it. The water does get warm and the so do the fittings.

Every rad is different. Such approximations are misleading.

The dissipation of your rad depends on the fans you use, the speeds of those fans, the temperature of the air passing through the rad (which is not necessarily ambient), the rad you use the speed which relates to the temperature of coolant going through the rad, the coolant going through the rad, should I stop? There are a lot of variables.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Every rad is different. Such approximations are misleading.

The dissipation of your rad depends on the fans you use, the speeds of those fans, the temperature of the air passing through the rad (which is not necessarily ambient), the rad you use the speed which relates to the temperature of coolant going through the rad, the coolant going through the rad, should I stop? There are a lot of variables.

Of course there are a lot of variables. However I'm in the "best case" scenario for my setup. All rads pull air from outside and are some of the best on the market. the fans are all very high quality (NF-F12s). So I'm a bit confused as to why my CPU does that. Doesnt matter how long I put it under load. it pretty much stabilizes at 75C on Prime95 after about 30 secs (!)

Of course there are a lot of variables. However I'm in the "best case" scenario for my setup. All rads pull air from outside and are some of the best on the market. the fans are all very high quality (NF-F12s). So I'm a bit confused as to why my CPU does that. Doesnt matter how long I put it under load. it pretty much stabilizes at 75C on Prime95 after about 30 secs (!)

Well that means the water is barley taking heat away from your cpu block. 

There is an issue in your CPU block. I suspect you didn't put in the supplied restriction plate/flow plate into your cpu block? Sounds like you either put in the blank one or you didn't put one in at all.

More likely the blank one because of your GPU temp -> you are fully restricting the water flow in your loop. If so you may have damaged your pump as well.

Well that means the water is barley taking heat away from your cpu block. 

There is an issue in your CPU block. I suspect you didn't put in the supplied restriction plate/flow plate into your cpu block? Sounds like you either put in the blank one or you didn't put one in at all.

More likely the blank one because of your GPU temp -> you are fully restricting the water flow in your loop. If so you may have damaged your pump as well.

LOOOL FUCK. Just realised I never changed it. Shit son now I have to bleed the whole thing out and set it up. How could I have been so stupid!!!!