My cpu is not going over base clock

My cpu (Intel i510th gen 10210U1.60ghz base clock 2.11ghz base speed)usually boosts to around 3.90-4ghz while in games but today suddenly it won't go over 1.61 ghz despite it being under heavy loads in games, but in the desktop it runs at 3 ghz, what should I do?

image_2021-07-03_210134.png

Screenshot (465).png

Can you post full specs?

Cpu? Mobo? Cooler? GPU?

Is it a laptop?

3 things to test:

If its a laptop, does the speed change when its powered by the wall instead of the battery?

Check windows power management, and see if its in balanced mode or better? Are there any other power saving features turned on?

Finally a reset of the bios could help clear any settings that may hold you back.

@monkeneedhelp The 10210U has a 15W TDP rating.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/195436/intel-core-i5-10210u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

If this limit is being enforced, your CPU will power limit throttle. That means it will be forced to slow down so it does not exceed 15W. If this never used to happen then there might have been a forced BIOS update or Windows Update that changed the power limits.

Run ThrottleStop and turn on the Log File option.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Play a game for at least 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. This log will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach this log to your next post so I can have a look. It will show if there are any throttling issues that might be causing the problem you are having. 

Just now, HexerPsy said:

Can you post full specs?

Cpu? Mobo? Cooler? GPU?

Is it a laptop?

3 things to test:

If its a laptop, does the speed change when its powered by the wall instead of the battery?

Check windows power management, and see if its in balanced mode or better? Are there any other power saving features turned on?

Finally a reset of the bios could help clear any settings that may hold you back.

Yes its a laptop
CPU-i5 10210U 1.60ghz boosted 4ghz max
storage-hp ssd 128gb
RAM-8gb sodimm 2667mhz
GPU-nvidia mx110 2gb dedicated vram
if u want some extra details about the issues - valorant used to run max graphics at 60fps vsync but now it stutters to 25 fps

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Manualy set the multi in throttlestop

can u explain that any further on how to do it

1 minute ago, unclewebb said:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/195436/intel-core-i5-10210u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

If this limit is being enforced, your CPU will power limit throttle. That means it will be forced to slow down so it does not exceed 15W. If this never used to happen then there might have been a forced BIOS update or Windows Update that changed the power limits.

Play a game for at least 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. This log will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach this log to your next post so I can have a look. It will show if there are any throttling issues that might be causing the problem you are having. 

thanks will do

1 minute ago, unclewebb said:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1315#post-11103818

And on some laptops you might have a stupid driver called dptf processor participant that will downclock your cpu even if you set the tpl limits to 99999 in throttlestop so make sure thats not installed

4 minutes ago, HexerPsy said:

Can you post full specs?

Cpu? Mobo? Cooler? GPU?

Is it a laptop?

3 things to test:

i always play plugged in but even if i unplug it if i put it into high performance it runs at high clock speeds,and yes its on max performance on every possible setting

I also noticed that feedback hub is on high disk usage today

image_2021-07-03_212049.png

1 minute ago, monkeneedhelp said:

can u explain that any further on how to do it

Download tstop, put it in the program files x86 folder, open it, press the turn on button, then theres the set multi thingy, put it at the max value

Then go into tpl, set both the power limits to 99999, clamp, lock, then apply, power limits have been yeeted

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Download tstop, put it in the program files x86 folder, open it, press the turn on button, then theres the set multi thingy, put it at the max value

Then go into tpl, set both the power limits to 99999, clamp, lock, then apply, power limits have been yeeted

will do now

will do now

Oh and check in device manager for that stupid dptf processor participant and delete it

Youll have to do this every now and then cause windows 10 is retarded and keeps reinstalling this garbage driver

Make sure you're in High Performance mode to take advantage of the 25 W cTDP

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Your CPU is at 69°C when it is basically idle. It is reaching 95°C and thermal throttling which reduces performance. Fix your cooling issue. You might have to disassemble your laptop to clean it and replace the thermal paste. It might just be a poorly designed laptop with an inadequate heatsink and fan so regardless of what you do, it will still overheat. 

what should I do ?

image_2021-07-03_212456.png

Bd prochot off, c1e off, set multi highest you can go

If its still power throttling then uncheck disable power limit control and

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

set both the pl1 and pl2 to 99999 and max out the turbo time limit slider, clamp, lock, then apply, power limits have been yeeted

Using the Windows High Performance power plan will delete the power control slider. If you want this back, use the Balanced profile. 

2 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Your CPU is at 69°C when it is basically idle. It is reaching 95°C and thermal throttling which reduces performance. Fix your cooling issue. You might have to disassemble your laptop to clean it and replace the thermal paste. It might just be a poorly designed laptop with an inadequate heatsink and fan so regardless of what you do, it will still overheat. 

it has one of the worst cooling designs on earth

2 minutes ago, monkeneedhelp said:

worst cooling designs

That is the biggest issue. You will never get consistent performance if your CPU is bouncing off the maximum thermal throttling temperature. This can also trigger some severe power limit throttling in some laptops where the power limit is reduced well below 15W. A ThrottleStop log file will show what the biggest problem is.