NVRLA.exe process taking up system resources in recent update.

Tieox

Noticed my CPU was at 60c when on the desktop today, a quick check on task manager showed CPU was being used by NVRLA.exe and a Google search brought me to this Reddit post :

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/o5rwwz/nvrlaexe_nvidia_process_i_have_never_seen_before/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Untitled.png.2ae6463302cda70f691ea3f22815f1c7.png

Just a FYI for anyone else running into this process, I renamed the .exe after stopping it, and normaility resumed.

Edited by Tieox
Link fix, and image added.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

There are a few posts in here about that process in the last week or so, i'm trying to comment in each of them. 

The process is indeed directly related to the overlay option in GeForce Experience. You'll likely only see it using ~8% CPU usage. If you have Task Manager open and disable the Overlay in GFE, you'll immediately see the process disappear. You can then re-enabled the overlay and the process does not (immediately) come back.

My thoughts? I use the overlay for the FPS counter and shadowplay functionality so disabling it was not an option. I'm also on a 5800x so i'm not worried about the extra ~8% cpu usage so I'll deal with occasionally turning off then on the overlay until Nvidia patches this. 

17 minutes ago, rickeo said:

so disabling it was not an option

Shadowplay Only and MSI Afterburner get around that?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

~10% cpu is kinda unacceptable when otherwise my whole system uses 1-2% including stuff like GFE and Corsair link…

That said im on the second last driver and i dont have that issue (ive seen the exe running though)

That said i think something  is seriously  wrong with nv drivers since they started to make them anti mining, especially recordings are incredibly "unstable" and use way more gpu performance than they should…

Had i known this i would have probably gone AMD (seriously lol only reason i went nvidia  was for the "superior NVENC" thing -_- )

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

yeap, should do… i dont like using the new nvidia overlay, it once stopped my fans from spinning, 85C + ahoy lol… turned it off then the fans started spinning again …)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Not entirely sure what you're saying. I use and enjoy the simplicity and integrated nature of the built in GFE overlay and tools so using something else was not an option for me.

This process using 8% CPU is a trivial issue and I can deal with it until its fixed.