Downloading Games floods my home network

battlebox56

Hi everyone, I recently reset my pc and did a clean install of windows and now whenever I try and download a game from steam or epic games my network gets flooded. My speed test before downloading a game is normally 10 ping, no jitter, and in the 200s on download and upload but now when I do a download the ping can be as high as 150 and a jitter of 50 and speeds far below 80 on upload and download. It makes every other internet connected device in my house unusable. If anyone knows any solutions it would mean a lot and be much appreciated!

Pc Specs: 

Ryzen 7 5800x- ROG STRIX X470-F  - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz - Kraken X63 AIO - MSI VENTUS 3x OC RTX 3070 - EVGA 1000W GW - NZXT H500i

you're saturating your internet.  That's a normal result.

Download when other people aren't actively trying to use the internet.  Or look into capping your app's download speeds.

Just now, tkitch said:

you're saturating your internet.  That's a normal result.

No, it has never had this problem and I have gigabit. Only after I reinstalled windows this occurs. I have an older system which can do downloads just fine and not cripple the network.

Pc Specs: 

Ryzen 7 5800x- ROG STRIX X470-F  - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz - Kraken X63 AIO - MSI VENTUS 3x OC RTX 3070 - EVGA 1000W GW - NZXT H500i

If your router supports Quality of Service (QoS), you could try enabling it. It should prioritize other traffic over downloads.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If your router supports Quality of Service (QoS), you could try enabling it. It should prioritize other traffic over downloads.

I'm not too networking savvy but I had a friend look at my network and he said something about my gaming rig sending too many packets to the network causing a flood but what I don't understand is why is it now doing this all of the sudden

Pc Specs: 

Maybe you had the download speed limited in the launchers settings and that got wiped when you reinstalled?