Monitor suggestions for productivity/homeoffice setup (Ultrawide?)

MoVo

Hey everyone, 

I'm looking into buying a new monitor for my homeoffice setup, which is long overdue. I'm currently starting at single 23" FHD monitor, which is less than ideal. I've been thinking about getting an Ultrawide monitor (LG 49WL95C-W or similar) or maybe two seperate monitors. My main focus is on productivity (programming + office work) with occasional casual gaming sessions. My main machine is a 2019 16" MBP. 1440p would be perfect, 60Hz is sufficient, more is appreciated nontheless. Do you have any suggestions on monitors, maybe from your own experience? 

34 minutes ago, MoVo said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm looking into buying a new monitor for my homeoffice setup, which is long overdue. I'm currently starting at single 23" FHD monitor, which is less than ideal. I've been thinking about getting an Ultrawide monitor (LG 49WL95C-W or similar) or maybe two seperate monitors. My main focus is on productivity (programming + office work) with occasional casual gaming sessions. My main machine is a 2019 16" MBP. 1440p would be perfect, 60Hz is sufficient, more is appreciated nontheless. Do you have any suggestions on monitors, maybe from your own experience? 

Do you have a budget?

I used to have 2x 1080p. I got my first secondary screen very cheap 2nd hand and used it for 2 years, it was so much convenient. 

Then I upgraded my main screen to 1440p and that was a huge upgrade for productivity, the extra screen space easily allowed me to fully use the browser on half the screen and you can also see much more because of more height. 

I now use 3x 1440p which is absolutely incredible for productivity. 

Unfortunately I can't compare it to ultrawide as I've never used it but I find this setup to be prefect for my use case. I rarely find myself running out of space. 

Discord, Steam, Spotify, Blender, Browser, Game, Folders, opened and visible at the same time with no need to switch in between. 

I often find 3x 1440p a bit more than I need as I don't need the extra monitor all the time... single Ultrawide would likely suffice most of the time. 

In Windows 11 the window management seems to be a lot better if you have UW, in W10, sticking to 2x1440 is better imo as its less of a hassle because the window management is not that good. 

You don't really even need more than half of the 1440p for websites since all websites only have extra empty space on the side if you fulscreen them. 

FHD doesn't have enough width to half-screen websites without having them to appear in mobile mode and UHD just seems like a waste for that kind of usage imo. 

I'm not going to recommend any specific monitor. Honestly, if you don't need any accurate color work done, just grab any 1440p IPS for the lowest price you can find... even 2nd hand if you want to save some money. 

49 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Do you have a budget?

Not really a strict one. I'd set 1000€ as a hard limit for now for the cost of the complete monitor setup

For pure productivity 2 monitors are better than 1 ultrawide. But that being said 1 ultrawide is still much better than your current FHD 24" monitor. But your budget is high enough for either 2 nice 1440p 144Hz monitors or 1 1440p ultrawide with a bit of extra money left over. The choice is up to you.

I'd go either 2 LG 27GP850-B's or 1 LG 34GP83A-B.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:43 AM, Stahlmann said:

For pure productivity 2 monitors are better than 1 ultrawide. But that being said 1 ultrawide is still much better than your current FHD 24" monitor. But your budget is high enough for either 2 nice 1440p 144Hz monitors or 1 1440p ultrawide with a bit of extra money left over. The choice is up to you.

I'd go either 2 LG 27GP850-B's or 1 LG 34GP83A-B.

Yeah you're probably right, while a ultrawide monitor looks pretty cool, its a bit overpowered. I think I'm better off purchasing the two 27" monitors you suggested and spending the money I have left towards a proper docking solution for my MBP and my work notebook