Need help identifying a PCB connector on a Loupdeck+

I use a loupedeck+ for photo/video editing and it's great but the USB-A connector is horrible. It takes an insane amount of force to get it into any USB port.

I have identified that the cable is not soldered onto the board but instead uses some connector. It doesn't look proprietary, but I'm very inexperienced with these things so I don't know what to search for to replace this cable. If anyone recognizes this connector type you'd be a big hero to me because then I can replace the cord with a higher quality connector.

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

I can say quite definitively, there's something proprietary going on there.

The pinout for USB uses 4 wires per port and that connector has 5 wires so it must be sending and/or receiving something extra down the cable.

It might be that USB 3 uses 5 wires per port, I'm actually not sure on that.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

looks like a double ground usb, but don't hold me to it.

Whats the other end look like?

If its usb, use multimeter to find what wire goes where.

usb 3 has 9 connections, it looks like usb 2.0 .... to me.

But really need to see other end

2 minutes ago, ndesign.ie said:

looks like a double ground usb, but don't hold me to it.

Whats the other end look like?

If its usb, use multimeter to find what wire goes where.

usb 3 has 9 connections, it looks like usb 2.0 .... to me.

But really need to see other end

I have edited the post to include a photo of the USBA connector. I am currently using the device to edit so I don't want to take it apart right now but I can check the wiring with my multimeter later today.

25 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I can say quite definitively, there's something proprietary going on there.

The pinout for USB uses 4 wires per port and that connector has 5 wires so it must be sending and/or receiving something extra down the cable.

It might be that USB 3 uses 5 wires per port, I'm actually not sure on that.

It's definitely a USB 2 Port, I have edited the post to include a photo of the USB connector.

ok so, going by USB A rules:

Red +

Green Data +

White Data -

Black - (Ground, negetive, shield)

3 minutes ago, ndesign.ie said:

ok so, going by USB A rules:

Red +

Green Data +

White Data -

Okay so perhaps instead of looking for a pcb to usb cable, perhaps I should just splice a new connector using that wiring information?

3 minutes ago, ToTouchAnEmu said:

Okay so perhaps instead of looking for a pcb to usb cable, perhaps I should just splice a new connector using that wiring information?

Yeah, you can clearly see the usb plug has 4 metal connectors inside it.

Probe the wires out using continuity mode from the plug end to the usb end, work out what order the wires are in and chop away 🙂

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, ndesign.ie said:

I'd chop and use multi meter to be sure, but can be safe enough

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, you can clearly see the usb plug has 4 metal connectors inside it.

Probe the wires out using continuity mode from the plug end to the usb end, work out what order the wires are in and chop away 🙂

Well I'll splice as a last resort but for now I'm gonna keep looking for the pcb connector type (since the device works fine so I'm in no hurry to resolve it). I have emailed the manuf to see if they can shed light on this as well.

48 minutes ago, ToTouchAnEmu said:

Well I'll splice as a last resort but for now I'm gonna keep looking for the pcb connector type (since the device works fine so I'm in no hurry to resolve it). I have emailed the manuf to see if they can shed light on this as well.

You could just buy a cheap USB hub, keep it plugged into that all the time and use the hub end as the removable one.