"Near" - prolific emulator author and contributor has passed away

Roswell

I'm not sure where to post this, but I feel like it's pretty significant. Feel free to move it if necessary.

"Near" is the author behind the popular (and super notably cycle accurate) Bsnes/Higan/Ares emulators and contributed code to just about every modern emulator covering the 8-16 bit era. Chances are if you use an emulator to play retro games, you're running some of their code.

They started off with a goal to completely reverse engineer the SNES down to the clock cycle and eventually succeeded, minus some negligible weirdness with the sound chip. That alone is wild and unheard of in the emulation scene, but they ended up developing the same ideas for just about every other console/handheld from the 8-16bit era with Higan and later Ares. They also helped and contributed to countless other (even competing) projects just to further the state of emulation. As I said previously, if you use emulators for Nintendo/Sega/etc, you're almost certainly running this person’s code. Their code was even used with/by Stephen Hawking in an effort to preserve his voice after passing.

Seems like their death was related to relentless targeted harassment and mental health issues which is sad and unfortunate. They were a colossal force in emulation and will be missed.

https://kotaku.com/the-brilliant-snes-emulator-creator-known-as-near-has-d-1847182851

https://www.pcgamer.com/near-creator-of-the-higan-and-bsnes-emulators-has-died/

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

RIP. Seems like Tech News personally.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

RIP.

I just installed 8 and 16 bit emulators onto my 3DS today.

If you’re using SNES9X, that’s one of the ones he contributed a good bit to. I wasn’t aware until I read comments from their team about it today.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 minutes ago, Roswell said:

If you’re using SNES9X, that’s one of the ones he contributed a good bit to. I wasn’t aware until I read comments from their team about it today.

two different branches, actually.  Apparently some work better than others, depending on the game.

on the topic of emulation and piracy or legit ones.

those are some big contributions.

May his work be valued, hopefully not taken down with DMCA.

Wow 

That's sad to hear tbh 

I'm sorry for his family's loss 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ?