Fixing bootmgr - boots only from a flash drive now

Hello guys,

Today, my Bootmgr failed on W8.1. Easy peasy you may say, well, it is easy to fix. I put my flash drive with Windows 8.1 installation in and went for the repair. I let it repair the boot itself, plus I tried it later again via the command Bootrec /RebuildBcd, it found the W8.1 on the Reserved by System partition. It fixed it, in both cases, but quite oddly.

Now, when I boot from to boot disk, I still get the same error. But when I boot from the flash drive, it starts the system like I was booting from the boot disk. So basically it has just repaired it on the flash drive with the installation. On the flash drive, there's just one change - it created a new file /boot/BCD plus backed up the old BCD file.

So I've been wondering. Since the official Microsoft's way doesn't work properly, how do I fix it myself then? So I can boot to the Windows from the boot disk instead of the flash drive. I already have working BCD, so can I use it now? And if so, what to do with it?

My PC: Windows 8.1 x64, all up to date, bios 2101 (the latest as well). Specs below.

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

I would just save all your important data and reformat.

heck no!

Hello guys,

Today, my Bootmgr failed on W8.1. Easy peasy you may say, well, it's is easy to fix. I put my flash drive with Windows 8.1 installation in and went for the repair. I let it repair the boot itself, plus I tried it later again via the command Bootrec /RebuildBcd, it found the W8.1 on the Reserved by System partition. It fixed it, in both cases, but quite oddly.

Now, when I boot from to boot disk, I still get the same error. But when I boot from the flash drive, it starts the system like I was booting from the boot disk. So basically it has just repaired it on the flash drive with the installation. On the flash drive, there's just one change - it created a new file /boot/BCD plus backed up the old BCD file.

So I've been wondering. Since the official Microsoft's way doesn't work properly, how do I fix it myself then? So I can boot to the Windows from the boot disk, instead of the flash drive. I already have working BCD, so can I use it now? And if so, what to do with it?

My PC: Windows 8.1 x64, all up to date, bios 2101 (the latest as well). Specs below.

try this is the same method for win 8 or 8.1

25672d1251414873-mbr-restore-windows-7-m

25673d1251414836-mbr-restore-windows-7-m

25674d1251414836-mbr-restore-windows-7-m

25675d1251414836-mbr-restore-windows-7-m

53598d1251414836-mbr-restore-windows-7-m

Then enter this in!!!!

BootRec.exe /fixmbr

BootRec.exe /FixBoot.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Then enter this in!!!!

BootRec.exe /fixmbr

BootRec.exe /FixBoot.

I booted to the Windows installation again and ran those commands. It said it completed successfully, but it didn't do anything. I couldn't boot to Windows from the boot disk nor the flash drive. I had to run the /RebuildBcd again as the temporally solution. Any other suggestions?

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

you need to do this from a CD and not a writable flash drive.  it sound like you have put the MBR on the flash drive.  so the flash drive has become the bit of the os responsible for booting the pc.

The CD is better as it can write to it, so this can’t happen

you need to do this from a CD and not a writable flash drive.  it sound like you have put the MBR on the flash drive.  so the flash drive has become the bit of the os responsible for booting the pc.

Uhh, okay. I'll try this as well, back to the old days then. I have to go trough the basement to find a dvd drive first tho. I'll keep you informed, how it went :3

It didn't help either. Fixmbr and Fixboot did have no effect, RebuildBcd didn't find any installation and autofix didn't work. Also, when I tried to restore the computer from there, it said the partition is locked.

Well, I think I'm just going to give up and boot from the flash for some time till I get more time for another clean reinstall... :unsure:

Thanks for the help tho, I appreciate it a lot.

It didn't help either. Fixmbr and Fixboot did have no effect, RebuildBcd didn't find any installation and autofix didn't work. Also, when I tried to restore the computer from there, it said the partition is locked.

Well, I think I'm just going to give up and boot from the flash for some time till I get more time for another clean reinstall... :unsure:

Thanks for the help tho, I appreciate it a lot.

you may have to go down the line of a full install.

but you could use the cmd to unlock the drive. then run the repair again.   but it may not work at all and leave you with a non booting system.