AIO fans keep ramping up, how can I have a static RPM?

Rajivrocks

So, I just build my second PC, but this is the actual first time building the last one I upgraded a lot and bought from IBuypower.

My question is this. I have an EKWB AIO 360 D-RGB and the fans on that thing keep going to 100% when my PC does something intense for a sec. So the fans ramp up for like 1-4 seconds. I remember linus showing that you can run your fans at one steady RPM. But when I got into my BIOS I can use a DC mode but even there i can't select just one RPM.

Any help would be SO MUCH appreciated you don't even know. I Don't want to play a game and my AIO fans going to 100%. What is strange tho is that in the BIOS it says it will only go to 100% when its at 75 Degrees but I'm pretty sure it has never gotten that hot since I\m just installing stuff ATM. Now I'm just keeping "Armoury crate" open to check temps. But gonna download Hardwareinfo and do it with that.

My specs are:

CPU: 5900X

RAM: G.Skill trident neo 3600 CL16

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming.

PSU: Corsair RM650.

GPU: RTX 2070

You would install the utility your mobo vendor provides where you can set fan curves.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You would install the utility your mobo vendor provides where you can set fan curves.

Ah okay, for asus that is AISuite 3 right? Also, isn't an AIO cooler never supposed to have spikes in temp? Since the water first needs to heat up? Or am I misunderstanding?

Haven't had a new ASUS mobo for a while, so not sure what the software they use is now. Would be in the downloads for that mobo. 

You'll still have spikes that relate to the thermal resistance from die to IHS to cold plate to water...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Rajivrocks said:

Ah okay, for asus that is AISuite 3 right? Also, isn't an AIO cooler never supposed to have spikes in temp? Since the water first needs to heat up? Or am I misunderstanding?

asus aisuite -> fan xpert

or
bios

u can have the same speed all the time

17 minutes ago, NorKris said:

asus aisuite -> fan xpert

or
bios

u can have the same speed all the time

Except for when it hits over 75 right? Then it will just go 100% at least on Asus mobos, I mean atleast on the previous one it did, and on this one as well.

2 minutes ago, Rajivrocks said:

Except for when it hits over 75 right? Then it will just go 100% at least on Asus mobos, I mean atleast on the previous one it did, and on this one as well.

on my fan xpert4 its a box i can "check" that says crit temp 75, and if thats on i can remove the 75c=max speed thingy

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

on my fan xpert4 its a box i can "check" that says crit temp 75, and if thats on i can remove the 75c=max speed thingy

Oh okay I'll hsve a look, I have very bad vision so I might have missed it. Could you maybe make a screenshot if its not to much trouble?

2 minutes ago, Rajivrocks said:

Oh okay I'll hsve a look, I have very bad vision so I might have missed it. Could you maybe make a screenshot if its not to much trouble?

image.png.017f4d91fcefcc254d6ed7582413fd47.png

I highly recommend adjusting the fan speed in the BIOS.
A lot of software to control fan speed and other nonsense tends to either conflic with other software or might need a lot of ressources. Also it's often a pain in the arse to use.

Your fancurve will most likely look something like this. You should be able to adjust it to the greenish line:

image.png.1b10d9fdfdbced4bb21816a9cbc51fde.png

Or even better, you can also smooth it out. Usually the fans ramp up and down a lot because the temperature is at a certain spot within the graph that has a drastic effect on the fan speed. So something like this might fix it too:
image.png.6a0a840a0d1b0d8150affb875a3c158e.png

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

A lot of software to control fan speed and other nonsense tends to either conflic with other software or might need a lot of ressources. Also it's often a pain in the arse to use.

Your fancurve will most likely look something like this. You should be able to adjust it to the greenish line:

image.png.1b10d9fdfdbced4bb21816a9cbc51fde.png

Or even better, you can also smooth it out. Usually the fans ramp up and down a lot because the temperature is at a certain spot within the graph that has a drastic effect on the fan speed. So something like this might fix it too:
image.png.6a0a840a0d1b0d8150affb875a3c158e.png

Oh I think I saw something called Q-fan something something. I'll have another look later!

Asus' own software does not conflict with anything tho. and if u ever need to change it fast for any reason you have to go to the bios again,  ye no

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

image.png.017f4d91fcefcc254d6ed7582413fd47.png

Oh wow, yeah that is really not visible for me xD Thank you man

1 minute ago, Rajivrocks said:

Oh wow, yeah that is really not visible for me xD Thank you man

image.png.5982cf9d5f22df1de913a38de4dc8cbf.png

Just now, NorKris said:

Asus' own software does not conflict with anything tho.

Tried all the software available on the planet?

Personally I experienced issues with the software too, when I was still using an ASUS Z170 Sabertooth S. Can't remember with which software tho.

image.png.87bed2881dce998ab288b1cf93856028.png

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

image.png.5982cf9d5f22df1de913a38de4dc8cbf.png

Oh sorry, I meant the checkbox, I would've missed it without your first screenshot, But this one is even more clear. Thank you 🙂

Personally I experienced issues with the software too, when I was still using an ASUS Z170 Sabertooth S. Can't remember with which software tho.

Oh wow O.o I'll have a look in the bios than

1 minute ago, Rajivrocks said:

Oh wow O.o I'll have a look in the bios than

Not saying it will happen, but it's better to avoid issues by simply using something that can't cause any issues. 😉 

Otherwise you might end up like me and wondering what the heck is going on for days.

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

most of these are old, even so old that the software is no more.

and even if u cant have ai and hw info its always hwmonitor or what ever out there